• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

British Columbia Forest Products Ltd.

Rusty Grapple

OK HDX I'll reply here with some pics in the hope that this is one of the same ex- BCFP units. I was in Chemainus looking at some grapple yarders at one point (2004?) and snapped these pics (and a couple hundered others) in that neighborhood. The tanker is as described and there were several other trailer variations at this location as well. One pic is of a mobile 'fuel platform' for lack of a better word; Snapped an boatload of pictures simply because I thought they were cool. Completely forgot about the trip and the pics until you rattled my head with that last post!

Attachments

• LeRoy Yard Chemainus 1 - RG.jpg
    LeRoy Yard Chemainus 1 - RG.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 1,096
  • LeRoy Yard Chemainus 3 - RG.jpg
    LeRoy Yard Chemainus 3 - RG.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 1,099
  • LeRoy Yard Chemainus 2 - RG.jpg
    LeRoy Yard Chemainus 2 - RG.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 1,096
Last edited:

HDX

Rusty Grapple You are right on with that post!! The red one was one of the ones we use to see being dragged around in the summer months by the BCFP PreLoads. They used the PreLoad truck's because they could lift the trailer up with the hydralic 5th wheel and the driver would lift the trailer legs up and put pin's in to hold them up and then drop it down to the frame level and away he would go. We always found that to get stuck bull-cooking the fire tankers around was a punishment thing So we always use to laugh at the guy doing it because you just knew he had peed off the truck dispatcher. In your pic's the 36 Ton Hayes Trailer's are very clear. There were a few other of those trailer's that also had the old Seattle bunks welded where the legs were and they had a set of short leg's on them Also you can see the king pin very well. The first picture show's a 36 ton "Dolly" under the front of that unit. You can see the 5th wheel on the top of the trailer These 36 ton dolly's were not as common as the 50Ton Columbia Trailers. I think its great that some of these treasures are still around if only in pictures Thanks for sharing these because I think a lot of guys were wondering what the heck I was talking about LOL

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
HDX, Very interesting information. I must see if I can find a rail road tank model and convert it to a preload tanker. Here some brochures of Seattle bunks used on Hayes.

Attachments

• Seattle bunks_s2.jpg
    Seattle bunks_s2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,043
  • Seattle bunks_s3.jpg
    Seattle bunks_s3.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,044

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Ups I forgot one!

Attachments

• Seattle bunks_s1.jpg
    Seattle bunks_s1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,028

Born2clearcut

Born2clearcut That is a Hayes 80 Ton Low Bed s/n 6021695 Was delivered not long after 211 and 212 s/n 5081621 5081622 to Renfrew Division If you go onto the Hayes thread go to post 167 and you will see the same name plate on the side of Rick Jones's 20-19 It did not come there from Hayes but was added by somebody I think that is why the name has been altered. Maybe a drivers name ???Hayes never put those on any other trucks other than those built between 1948-1951 That was the span of that model truck. In 1952 Hayes introduced the all new concept in their trucks called the "HD" and that replaced those series trucks What do you think???

Sounds good to me HDX ,it won't be the first time someone has made or altered something so their name lives on with a machine .

Born2clearcut

Picture 1 1962 Renfrew area . This is one of those water tankers HDX is talking about . It's being fillup with water by a hi volume pump

Attachments

• july  1962.jpg
    july 1962.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 2,093
  • dodge water pump jpg.jpg
    dodge water pump jpg.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 2,125
  • july1960renfrew (6).jpg
    july1960renfrew (6).jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 2,097
  • june 1959 renfrewa.jpg
    june 1959 renfrewa.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 2,086

HDX

There was about 8 maybe 9 of those trailers built and there is still a few around although they are no longer used they are still in existence So there is hope yet LOL The BCFP drivers called them "Long Toms". Very nice post Born2clearcut Shows them in action

hoglogg

i found 2 of those converted rail tankers out in renfrew area , all rusty now , one parked near gordon river and one across the san jaun river about 2 years ago tho , not sure if the scrappers have them now tho , also there were a few square tanks , setup near creeks , i,m guessing they were not for filling the water tanks for offroad trucks , but for fire,, as they were on the ground versus set up as water towers .

scottympm

Hey Rusty Grapple, in reference to the red water tanker converted from a rail tank car in thread 401, would you happen to have any additional photos of this rig? I've got a feeling I need to build me one of these!

Thanks
Scott

Born2clearcut

1969 Snow fall
Looks like Caycuse area got a good dump of snow in 1969

Attachments

• mar1969ds (3).jpg
    mar1969ds (3).jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 1,825
  • mar1969ds (2).jpg
    mar1969ds (2).jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 1,841
  • mar1969ds.jpg
    mar1969ds.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 1,838
  • mar1969ds (4).jpg
    mar1969ds (4).jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 1,822
  • mar1969ds (10).jpg
    mar1969ds (10).jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 1,820

Sigurd

Those pictures of winter -69 brings back memories to me, working on north island we had christmas holiday and were supposed to start up on jan. 3 i think.
But cause of the snow we were shut down three or four weeks if i remember right.
Thanks for sharing pictures
Sigurd

Born2clearcut

Here's a few picture of some trucks parked waiting to start the day .

Picture 1 is Harris creek 1958 truck number 206 Hayes ,201 KW ,187 KW , 204 Hayes , 202 Hayes . All have wooden reaches.

Picture 2 is truck number 205 Hayes , # 201 KW and third truck is a KW number unknown , trucks are parked outside of Port Renfrew 1959 .

Picture 3 and 4 1969 Caycuse trailer reload ( I think )

Attachments

• arp1968a (4).jpg
    arp1968a (4).jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 1,632
  • Prenfrew1959 Truck 205 and  201.jpg
    Prenfrew1959 Truck 205 and 201.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 1,658
  • harris creek 1958 trucks206 201 187 204 202.jpg
    harris creek 1958 trucks206 201 187 204 202.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 1,668
  • arp1968 caycuse reload.jpg
    arp1968 caycuse reload.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 1,656

Dave Hadden

Occupation
Retired.
1969 Snow fall
Looks like Caycuse area got a good dump of snow in 1969

I remember 1969 and the snow quite well. I'd started as Warehouseman at the logging camp in Gold River August that year and thought the previous winter was something as we'd had a total of 16' of snow at Gold River and a heckuva time when the pulp mill froze up during the Christmas shut-down. Little did I know that '69 would bring us another whack of snow, although less than the previous year I think, and at one time I had to buy a bunch of snowshoes so the fallers could get in to where they were falling. And they had to dig out around the trees they were falling too, sort of like that last pic.
We fought snow pretty hard that year as markets and demand were good.

Thanks again for sharing your pics. Really appreciate them.

Take care.

Born2clearcut

Couple new trucks years unknown
Picture 1 Hayes preload with a self loading trailer , couldn't see the number of this truck ,maybe HDX can help with some info ?
Picture 2 Hayes truck #229

Attachments

• newBCFP self trailer reloadsm.jpg
    newBCFP self trailer reloadsm.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 1,468
  • Hayes bcfp 229 donesm.jpg
    Hayes bcfp 229 donesm.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 1,456

HDX

Born2clearcut 6-234 Also bound for Caycuse as well as 229 Will see what I got on them The pic of 6-234 was part of a photo shoot by Hayes for their new brochure featuring the HDX

HDX

Unit # 229 was built with this front bumper and only a few came like that. This was in part a request made by Master mechanics to get away from the "I"beam style and the old short "Stub" bumpers . They were terrible for pushing Low-beds and rubber tired Log Loaders and the bumper above was the proto-type. But with the wide flat surface it proved to be problematic when pushing on a corner. After several trips to the island to actually watch what was happining ,the engineers went back to the drawing board and changed the configuration of this bumper and gave it the swept back 6 degree angle on each side as well as extending the front frame rails by 4 inches that became the bumper all HDX's would be built with. This would carry over to the Pacific Truck as well because they also have a problem when pushing a Low-bed or a rubber tired log loader on a sharp switchback or sharp corners--- the front fender is always getting bent. Happens to both sides. There is no strength on the side's and you have to keep the middle 4 feet of the bumper as the pushing area.With the HDX the fenders slope back enough to avoid this damage but the Pacific is not so fortunate due to the big square fenders. It's too bad because once the fender is wrinkled it usually stays that way. Quite a number of customers would get big square steel blocks welded onto the bumper as well and this gave a little more distance between the brushguard and whatever you were pushing-- say a rubber tired log loader up a hill. When going through a deep dip in the road or starting up a really steep pitch the loader fuel tank/counterweight was even with the push plate you were pushing on and it would tilt back and bend the brush guard and then hit the rad and then the fan would destroy that as well as wrinkling the hood. This happens more than you would think.

Born2clearcut

Thanks for the info HDX . Your knowledge of these trucks is Outstanding . I'm starting to get alot of my old pictures named , numbered and dated thanks to you . :cool2 .Keep up the awesome work :drinkup

HDX

I was talking to a friend today about old trucks and the subject came up about the front bumpers! Just to keep the record straight Hayes started to build the all new concept in their Heavy Duty truck line in 1952 called an HD for Heavy Duty. These trucks were built with a front bumper called a "Stub"bumper made out of 10 inch "I" beam 6 feet long. By very early 1953 Hayes was getting lots of interest from more customers in the HD's but some wanted a more versatile front bumper and the engineering dept came up with a smaller version of the "Push Bumper" and by mid 1953 it was another option that could be installed on these trucks--However--The HDX would retain the "I"beam bumper till mid 1965. The only reason I added this info was for you guys with sharp eyes that saw the older Hayes's with the push style front bumpers and would wonder what that was all about. It was actually BCFP that got HAYES to try and reproduce a similar front bumper to the Kenworth one on their earlier units like 200 and those pictured above. If you look you can see the similarities above on the KWs. Some of the earlier HDX's actually had their "I"beam bumpers boxed in by their shops or welders. This summer Jim and I found one of the old BC Hydro HDX's and sure enought its front bumper was covered over to make it look newer. But underneath was still the original "I"beam job

Born2clearcut

Found a picture of #229 working in 1969 with a preload trailer Caycuse area. The front bumper has already been changed . Their is a picture of #229 brand new in post number 414, page 28

Attachments

• jan1969 Truck #229.jpg
    jan1969 Truck #229.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 1,223
Last edited:

Born2clearcut

Also a picture of 229 with a lowbed on page 5 , post #66 in this BCFP thread post #69 has more info on truck #229 the year , s/n ect

Last edited: