• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

British Columbia Forest Products Ltd.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
I'll send you a private message , I'm sure we have a lot in common , if your related to George Phillips .
No response to this or a PM . I spent quite a few years in the Port Renfrew area and the only Phillips I recall is the family of George Phillips . I think George was originally from Vancouver . He went to work in a shop at a logging camp in one of the Inlets on the mainland coast of B.C. across the Georgia Straits from Campbell River . BCFP bought out several Logging outfits in the mid 1940's - early 1950's that they shut down for a period of time then "contracted out" . Quite often BCFP would offer good worker's and valued employee's a job in one of their other bigger operations that they continued to operate under the company name and management . George Phillips was moved to the Harris Creek Camp in Renfrew Div. where he stayed as a Heavy Duty Mechanic in the truck shop for the rest of his working career , keeping a fleet of Off Highway Kenworths , HDX Hays and P16 Pacific logging trucks maintained and repaired . At some point George would have become senior mechanic . Good guy , if you had a question , he would take the time to answer it .
After hours he had a side business fixing the locals private vehicles . And for many years was a member of the Volunteer Fire Department .

Renfrew

This abandoned line loader is just one of many relics of logging history resting in the valley, its slowly being picked apart by those who knows its location, please if you know, keep it secret, some crazy individual cut the boom line dropped the boom and stole the grapple a year back
My pops has a ton of pics of his time here in renfrew I’ll be starting to post them, from early camp life to “his fleet” of logging trucks he looked after
Some of my best memories were Friday nights in the shop as a wee kid with pops and his workmates and the test drives in the HDX trucks to the “special magazines” in the lunchroom in the shop

Attachments

• IMG_0102.jpeg
    IMG_0102.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1357.jpeg
    IMG_1357.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 51

exploring

Hey Steve I posted a few pics of the old logging equipment that I have found up the coast at Teakern Arm. I know where the old skidder was left at Bear Creek. I doubt the old home tree is still standing after all these years, I've heard it is down. Never gave any thought to going back in there the old road must be long gone.
Are you able to give me a general idea of the location on the skidder

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
It could possibly be a telescoping line or raising line for a Skagit, a live boom gantry line for a swinger or possibly a grub line for a grapple/MSP yarder
What ever it was for will remain a mystery , but WD your correct . Probably stapled to a wooden spool . It must have been laying in the mud for many years , as the Harris Creek Camp was shut down around 1962 .

skyking1

Last edited:

Welder Dave

Acklands history is a little off. Their head office was based out of Winnipeg I believe. It was Manitoba for sure, the same as Ashdowns Hardware which Acklands bought in 1970 when the sons didn't want to carry on with the business. My grandpa had a long career with Ashdowns and was the Calgary branch manager and also on the board of directors. Ashdowns was larger than Acklands. My grandpa got a new car every year during the 30's depression.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
What ever it was for will remain a mystery , but WD your correct . Probably stapled to a wooden spool . It must have been laying in the mud for many years , as the Harris Creek Camp was shut down around 1962 .
That alone makes it a pretty damn cool find