• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

British Columbia built logging equipment, obscure makes....

skadill

The way it is

The little Rosedale yarder ended up in Oregon I looked at it last week, it's a very unique little machine. Sad thing is it will most likely will be scrapped soon. The asking price is not terribly out of line, but money has been tight and work sporadic at best. I would really like to know more about Rosedale Machine Shop and the other machines they produced. I went and looked at the sidewinder at Goshen Equipment and there are a couple of the Ecologgers just down the road all very interesting machines.

With production being King and labour the enemy,its very doubtful,these types of yarders will ever make a commercial comeback.It sad though a gypo outfit could get a cheap little tower,bid a small timber sale and keep a little crew working for a season,but today that volume needs to be out in 5 weeks or less.The economies of scale favor larger lean mean efficient operations.This stuff probably only survived through the 90's because log prices were so high for a good spell then.

skadill

We are all adding to this big pot of logging equipment soup here,each piece adds flavor and a uniquness.Whether or not someones engineering or design was cutting edge or fell by the wayside,they all have a place and led to the next generations and models of equipment and design.To be above or show disgust for a unique piece of logging equipment that people put hundreds of thousands of dollars or millions into designing, plus the years to build it and bring it to life has great value and is a very admirable.The easy thing was to do nothing. But Loggers are innovators formost and harvesters of timber second.Please try to find some enjoyment in the great history and ideas here that cost most of us nothing.As loggers,if someone is making the effort and doing their best in the industry to find a better way,we would never make light of,or belittle that. This is in response to the 225 swinger comments

cutting edge

what a waste of a 225 its a new excavator and then they rip it apart thats a real waste of a 225 whats the piont just get a madill

Conversions were quite common back then,when there were no mass produced units for specific applications......now if you could trade that 225 in for some punctuation,we'd all be winners.

DBDLS

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Tmm 850

Speaking of Obscure, Rare. How about this machine? Thank you to the folks at Forestech for these pictures of the one and only T-Mar 850 cable log loader. I remember poking around this machine when it was brand new. I thought the Detroit Series 50 engine was a good choice for power. Too bad the people at Detroit Diesel didn't keep making that powerplant. I sure loved the sound it made. Hopefully someone can get some more pictures of this machine where ever it is now.

Attachments

• 1997-T-Mar-Tmm850-Series-50-Engine[1].jpg
    1997-T-Mar-Tmm850-Series-50-Engine[1].jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 2,305
  • 1997-T-Mar-TMM850-Cable-Log-Loader-Carrier-RL[1].jpg
    1997-T-Mar-TMM850-Cable-Log-Loader-Carrier-RL[1].jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 2,298
  • 1997-T-Mat-TMM850-Winch-Set-[1].jpg
    1997-T-Mat-TMM850-Winch-Set-[1].jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 2,308
  • 1997-T-Mar-TMM850-Cable-Log-Loader-Cab-Interior[1].jpg
    1997-T-Mar-TMM850-Cable-Log-Loader-Cab-Interior[1].jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 2,318
  • 1997-T-Mat-TMM850-R[1].jpg
    1997-T-Mat-TMM850-R[1].jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 2,315

trakloader

I seem to recall hearing that two were built, but never heard who got the other one. I do have the T-Mar ad from Trucklogger magazine showing this machine when it was new. Kinda looks gone to seed now.... :(

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Who Owned This?

Would that machine be painted in my beloved Mac & Blo red? Where was the picture taken? Gees, I have to get me out of the city and go find some nice logging roads to explore...

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Who Were They?

I don't remember ever hearing about T-Mar until I started seeing the name on the 'net several years ago. I just sort of guessed that they were some sort of equipment retailer based up-Island. Obviously they were into it bigger than I thought. So when did these line loaders come into play? At the end of the line machine days and before hydraulic powered machines?

trakloader

T-Mar was big on converting Ko-Joke-Ho's into log loaders, and rebuilding grapple yarders. They built the TMM850 pretty late..... I believe they were the last line loaders ever built, without digging up my old magazines, I would say 1996-7? DBDLS should know for sure.

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Were these Loaders built from scratch? I'm surprised that Mac Blo would have gone for something old school that was being replaced by a newer technology (hydraulics loaders). Which divisions ran them?

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
The engine room and the drums sure look a lot like a 7230 with Tmar gantry and boom and cab.

KW850&T800H

COPPA
Sparmatic 110

Interfor in Hope BC.
1 of 3 made.
Modified by taking some stuff off.
Skagit winch
Used for tightening skyline on long distance skyline.
Cummins 450, was a 335
Would sell whole operation with carriage.
He trucked it from hope BC.
92,000lbs
Brought it here (Valemount BC) in 1992
Works fine, just no work for it.

DSCN0063.JPG

DBDLS

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
T-Mar was big on converting Ko-Joke-Ho's into log loaders, and rebuilding grapple yarders. They built the TMM850 pretty late..... I believe they were the last line loaders ever built, without digging up my old magazines, I would say 1996-7? DBDLS should know for sure.

Trakloader, once again I have to defer to your vast collection of knowledge. All I know is I came across this machine at Menzies Bay Division not too far from the shop. I dug through all my old photos and have nothing on the machine. Must have been in a "If it's not a Madill, I won't take a picture" mood. So short sighted. The most recent information I have, from SVL (who knows everything there is to know about logging machines), is that Russell and Lilly from the Tahsis area were the last owners of this machine. I believe that one of the Mantles was involved in its design so I would expect there would be a lot of similarities to the 7230. If you get a chance to check out your old magazines you would be pretty close on the dates. Perhaps jackd or Murk may come across this machine and get us some decent pictures. Thanks, DBDLS

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
Hayes yarder

Saw this in the bone yard and had to get a few pics. Still looks useable.

Attachments

• 100_4359.jpg
    100_4359.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,957
  • 100_4360.jpg
    100_4360.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 2,006

DBDLS

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Just to let everyone know that there is a drawing of T-Mar's new grapple yarder in the Fall 2011 issue of the Truck Logger BC magazine. I put in a call to T-Mar so I could put the picture up for everyone to see but have not received an answer. I'll give the brief specs and my interpretation of how the machine looks. The machine weighs in at 100,000 lbs (about 15,000 lbs more than a Madill 120), has CAT diesel power, side by side mainline drums (like the 6280 and 7280) and what looks to be a rear tilting engine enclosure. At a quick glance it looks very similar to a Madill 120 with a lattice type boom, a swiveling haulback fairlead and staggered roller fairleads for the mainlines. Cab looks very similar to the 120/124 with the ability to tilt for transport. Cab guard is similar in design to the 120/124's, but considerably taller. It has a topping line (never did understand why Madill made that optional on the 120) and guyline winches mounted in a frame at the bottom of the rear gantry legs. All in all a very nice looking design. I hope T-Mar can sell enough of these so that we can set up a separate page for their line machines in this forum. So everyone going past T-Mar's yard keep your eyes peeled. Here's wishing T-Mar all the best with their new yarder. DBDLS

grapple1

Trakloader, once again I have to defer to your vast collection of knowledge. All I know is I came across this machine at Menzies Bay Division not too far from the shop. I dug through all my old photos and have nothing on the machine. Must have been in a "If it's not a Madill, I won't take a picture" mood. So short sighted. The most recent information I have, from SVL (who knows everything there is to know about logging machines), is that Russell and Lilly from the Tahsis area were the last owners of this machine. I believe that one of the Mantles was involved in its design so I would expect there would be a lot of similarities to the 7230. If you get a chance to check out your old magazines you would be pretty close on the dates. Perhaps jackd or Murk may come across this machine and get us some decent pictures. Thanks, DBDLS

There was only (1) TMM850 ever built, The original designs are based on a crawler with a conventional loading boom, or super snorkel. M&B Menzies Bay ordered the machine but wanted a long boom for what ever reason, and wanted rubber tired carrier for mobility purposes.
TMM represented Tmar / Mantle, from when Tmar bought Mantle Industries. Jim Mantle did the design work.

The machine then sold to Russell & Lilly in Tahsis, who now have it for sell in Campbell River at the Forestech Yard. You can see it on their website now.