• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Brit logging.

cubanator

I've seen guys work in 2400sqf climate controlled shops who were complete pigs to work around. Kudos to you for how clean your work area is and the fact you even covered the motor working with a dirt floor. That's pretty impressive.

John Shipp

Yes, I'd like to do something about that dirt floor. If I'd known we'd be working from there for 8 years already,... There were a few sparks and some singeing going on, getting the old king pins and bearing race out.WP_20180623_10_32_39_Pro.jpg WP_20180623_16_40_35_Pro.jpg WP_20180623_16_41_26_Pro.jpg

Junkyard

Last time I was across the pond I wasn’t even close to old enough to set foot in a pub. When I was in Boy Scouts one of our high adventure trips was England and Scotland. Somehow or another I got separated from the group in London. Riding around in the cab from the hostel to wherever we went I had been watching what we passed by etc.

I had enough money for a cab but at 12 years old I questioned how they might view that so I hoofed it back following the landmarks I had seen. When I got back one of the parents, Mrs. Lane, was sitting on the steps with a desperate look. Not unlike you’d picture when somebody is thinking “how do I tell his mother I lost him in a foreign country...?”

She jumped up, ran down the stairs, hugged me and cried her eyes out. I was the youngest on the trip and they were all flabbergasted I found my way back and walked the entire way!!

Junkyard

Seems that way in any large city. I’m sure things have changed a bit in going on 28 years! Sure seems like things have changed a lot all over the world since I was a young man. Most doesn’t seem like it’s been for the good. Makes me wonder what my grandfather thought about the changes he saw in his lifetime....

John Shipp

I can recall in particular a great uncle who talked about how things were changing for the worse, this was 40 years ago when he was an old man. And my grandmother once almost apologised to me once, we were looking at a map as i was interested in hearing about where she'd grown up. It was the same countryside that I'd grown up in, but half of the placenames she was describing she had known as fields and farms, whereas now it's all built on. She reckoned that in her life they may have had the best of it, with many modern improvements coming in, yet a lot of the quieter, old fashioned ways still the norm.

dirty4fun

I can remember hearing my grandparents talk about all the changes and what they had seen change. Then my father would say the same thing. Now I am starting to resemble both of them, and most of the changes I have seen aren't for the good. Around here it's hard to find young people who want to work. If they show up they are much more interested in their cell phone than anything, other than how much am I going to pay them. Maybe it's my 69 years of age and working usually everyday that is bad.

camptramp

The 1950's to the 1970's were probably the "Golden Era" for the Working People of our corner of the World . Better Safety , Working conditions , Pay and Benefits . Then major changes came . To me those were the "Good Old Day's" . I can't even imagine what our World will be like when the "Adolescent" of today grows to our age and looks back at this period of time as "The Good Old Day's .

Plebeian

General questions about the UK - As there are small forests in that part of the UK, (hopefully I have not missed an answer earlier in this message thread) what are forest/ woodlot contractors likely to supplement their job or time share there job with? (apart from firewood) Do they do arborist work in towns?

How much under canopy mulching is done in the UK?
JCB - 325T forestmaster mulching Rhododrendons?

Are there other forest machine converters other than this in the UK? Is Valtra - sort of the market leader in the UK for forestry tractors?
https://www.caledonianforestryservices.co.uk/forestry-tractors-timber-trucks (Valtra Tractors, Kesla etc, I like the cabin crane on the back of the truck and the Case tractor, also running the processing head off the tractor crane.)

What other machines are around to replace the Landrover with e.g Iveco
http://pickupand4x4.co.uk/iveco-daily-4x4-review

Felling heads
A Matriarch rotatable (bar saw) felling head is likely to be 400lbs lighter than a Ryan's ds20 head, matriarch probably sourceable through bell equipment uk.
http://matriarchequipment.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/MT50FH-Specification-Sheet.pdf (associated with bell(sa) so a history of doing the tree felling job)

Firewood - make sure you educate your firewood customers (and council staff, enviro regulators etc)about the modern woodburners with reduced emissions (even if they are mega euro/ uk pound initial cost). So hopefully you maintain a customer base with compliant into the future woodburners.

John Shipp

Hi Plebeian,

Your question about woodland contractors is quite hard to answer, as there are so many small woods and a lot of different set ups as to who does any work (or not a lot of work) in them. There are a lot of people with full time jobs who weekend warrior a wood in there spare time, farmers who do a bit in winter, gamekeepers who do their own thing,etc. For forestry contractors like us, we manage to stay just on forestry with the firewood as you say filling the gaps, by covering a wide area and going to a different wood every week or two typically. Arb work and landscaping is definitely a mainstay for a lot of companies doing some work in woods, also excavation contractors do some, small sawmill owners, and farmers sons etc.

Mulching: undercanopy mulching does go on particularly for the woods where rhododendron is a problem, otherwise the cost restricts it's use for plantation cleanups or leveling scrubby areas which would help further management. It's more woodland-owning utility companies, charities, national forests, building developers etc that seem to be using mulchers the most.

More in a minute,...

John Shipp

So from what I've seen, several times we've put in a price for understorey mulching and the customer has baulked at the price and it hasn't happened. Whereas the ulility arb guys, you see them driving around with mulchers and chewing up the veg where powerlines cut through woods, see that a lot.

John Shipp

There are maybe a dozen or so companies in UK, that I know of anyway, that convert machines for forestry. Maybe more now that I think of it.

Jas P Wilson that we use for UK made Botex cranes and trailers etc, excavator conversions, also purpose built dealership.
Caledonian Forestry that you mention, do nice tractor conversions with European cranes.
Companies like AT Osbourne and Marshalls forestry do the occasional conversion.
Forest Machine Services, A&B Services, G McArthur Forestry Services, Exc@8, RJ Fukes all do excavator conversions, A & B doing a lot of skyline winches.

Apologies to any Uk company I've forgotten here! (edit- AC Price is another, also farm machinery dealers can supply forest equipment, eg Chippenham Farm Services)

Valtra is definitely market leader for uk woods. It would seem that a lot of the farm use Valtras get a 2nd life in the woods too. You do see other brands being used in the woods, or for forwarding timber to roadside, particularly larger hp machines set up with the cabin cranes and pulling a 25 t load up a forest road for transfer to a truck. Probably the main reason is that valtra have rotating seat as standard, and option of full reverse driving controls. They are also good on clearance, they were designed with forests in mind.

Last edited:

John Shipp

Those iveco 4x4 look like a good vehicle, though are heavier at 2.5t with same 3.5t gvw. So lost 300kg there, compared to the land rover. That article sums it up actually, there are only a few options at the moment. It's likely we shall overhaul the LR 130 some time soon, and keep it rattling for another 5 years.