• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

brand new Cat 289D

spatterfree

Jut delivered yesterday, traded our old 262C for a brand new 2014 289D
what you guys think? was it a good idea?

Attachments

• IMG_4853.jpg
    IMG_4853.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,944
  • IMG_4849.jpg
    IMG_4849.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,229
  • IMG_4854.jpg
    IMG_4854.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,544

spatterfree

Old machine that we traded, had about 1300 hours, still lots of use left.

Attachments

• IMG_4866.jpg
    IMG_4866.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 832

JNB

Occupation
Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
Nice looking rig. Did you get the backup camera?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Congrats!:drinkup

The 289 will probably be my next CTL. What kind of work do you do? Just keep in mind if you haven't ran CTL's before to adjust your rate for the higher expense of running a CTL over a tire machine.

big ben

Looks awesome I'm sure you will love it !

What changed in your work scope that you are changing from tires to tracks ? Had tracked machines before or just trying something new ?

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
A track machine will make a worthless operator half productive. You will never regret going to tracks. Nor will you want to run a wheel machine again.

spatterfree

we were debating tracks or tires on the 262c, have a big job where tires don't work, just not enough traction so we rented a Volvo/JCB to try, had it for a month, but decided we'll rather stay with cat and trade our old machine, so far it looks nice, it's louder when traveling on high also kinda slow, but so far it looks very nice and easy to operate.

spatterfree

right now we are working a big project where tires don't work, this is our first track skid loader, but we had several rentals through the years for small jobs.

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
RTD or Return to dig and ride control are both options, along with a bunch of others features, CAT needs yo make money you know , so most everything useful is an option..they both work good on my CAT.....I ordered both on mine and like the ride control allot , RTD is a decent feature if your loading a lot of material on a regular basis , which is not something I do often....hope that helps

spatterfree

Thanks, then it probably doesn't have the RTD,
Has the advanced display, ride control, 2 speed, high flow, but i don't see anything about RTD

RTD or Return to dig and ride control are both options, along with a bunch of others features, CAT needs yo make money you know , so most everything useful is an option..they both work good on my CAT.....I ordered both on mine and like the ride control allot , RTD is a decent feature if your loading a lot of material on a regular basis , which is not something I do often....hope that helps

pafarmer

Occupation
It doesn't have than.....you will never know what your missing then , so your OK without it but don't run one with ever...

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
Still has the single idler in the rear??? I thought all the D's came with the double or triple?

durallymax

yes rear camera, has all the options except for the return to dig, is that something we can add later one? does anyone know?

Its something the dealer activates, most likely for a fee.

To use it you program in your bucket angle so it remembers what you want, then to use RTD you curl the bucket and drop the boom while clicking the float button.

As long as a track machine is what you need, I'd say you made a good choice. Traded our 262C2 for a 262D a couple months ago and couldn't be happier. Lots of nice improvements on the D series. Surprised you feel its louder, I would make sure nothings loose, but then again maybe its just a CTL thing. I ran a 289D for a few hours and thought it was nice. In hi range the motors do whine a lot I guess.

A track machine will make a worthless operator half productive. You will never regret going to tracks. Nor will you want to run a wheel machine again.

If you are pushing dirt sure, but believe it or not there are still tasks where tires are superior. I would never trade our wheeled machines for a CTL. I'd love to have one CTL when I need to push stuff around, but 90% of the work an SSL is better at.

pafarmer

Occupation
We have been running tracked 299's since early spring of this year in the US....full forestry package , steel tracked units...it's an awesome set up for the rugged terrain we run in daily. Rubber tracks were wearing off the machines in less than 1000 hours...