• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Both Big Cats are home...

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
As Reggie Lussier says T stands for tractor. D stands for diesel. The number stands for tons. TD7G is a 7 ton tractor fueled by diesel. The letter following is sequential. Weight varies with changes. ROPS has weight, Winch has weight, etc. etc.

TD25 should weigh approximately 25 tons.

In the last twenty years excavators have their weight lost somewhere in their model number. That is in metric tons (1000 KG)

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Sorry to say I was late getting back on here. Last 977K I was looking at had a ripper tool bar with two shanks and a MP bucket, that monster broke 49,000.

CavinJim

A little off-topic, but from the physics standpoint it all boils down to power, weight, traction, and hydraulic power. My little JD 350 three-cylinder gas machine is far better balanced than my several times bigger Cat 955K. The 350 will lose traction (in average soil conditions) just about the same time the engine bogs down. If I'm pushing down a tree, everything seems to be just in balance. A few weeks ago I pushed over a walnut cluster--7 trunks from one root system (they were all about 8" diameter)--and that was about tops for the machine. But it managed. Scale that tree up the same ratio as the 955 to the 350 and I don't think the 955 would have managed it.

It's much more than just weight and hp--it's the drive train, the gearing, the ground-engagement, and how it all balances out. When you get a machine that is in balance, it just feels right. The 955K just doesn't feel as right as the 350. Had a Cat 12F grader, too--and that was a lot of fun and seemed very balanced, though it could have used a bit more traction (i.e. new tires!).

Welder Dave

I thought a 977 was closer to 60,000lb but 48,000lb looks to be the most common figure. I think the IH loaders were a little ahead of their time. JD copied the bucket linkage for their 755 and 855 loaders, I think the bucket cylinders pushing to roll back is a better design.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
A little off-topic, but from the physics standpoint it all boils down to power, weight, traction, and hydraulic power. My little JD 350 three-cylinder gas machine is far better balanced than my several times bigger Cat 955K. The 350 will lose traction (in average soil conditions) just about the same time the engine bogs down. If I'm pushing down a tree, everything seems to be just in balance. A few weeks ago I pushed over a walnut cluster--7 trunks from one root system (they were all about 8" diameter)--and that was about tops for the machine. But it managed. Scale that tree up the same ratio as the 955 to the 350 and I don't think the 955 would have managed it.

It's much more than just weight and hp--it's the drive train, the gearing, the ground-engagement, and how it all balances out. When you get a machine that is in balance, it just feels right. The 955K just doesn't feel as right as the 350. Had a Cat 12F grader, too--and that was a lot of fun and seemed very balanced, though it could have used a bit more traction (i.e. new tires!).
I read a bit of IH history. The first of their track loaders were converted bulldozers. With grouser tracks they were ripping lots of drivetrain parts up. IH shipped them off to fitters such as Drott where the shoes were changed to three bar. A track loader turns more than a dozer. Might it be the three bar shoes making the loader feel under tractioned. Is tractioned a word?

Welder Dave

Most loaders now run double grousers. The triple grousers tend to pack with dirt which can't help with traction but make it easier on the drivetrain for turning. I wanted to put double grousers on my 931B but they weren't available.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Known a few to put Tall grouser dozer shoes on 977s, all found it was not a good choice as rollers, truck frames and even the operators suffered. Single grouser will push like all get out but hard on turns with a loaded bucket.

Clutch

Occupation
QC Manager @ CNC Machine Shop
Thanks for all of good information. My only experience was on a JD 550H Dozer with T-handle controls my neighbor had. He let me run the machine for a few hours and coming from a guy with no experience I thought it was easy to operator and when I was pushing too much dirt the tracks would start to lose traction but the motor never bogged down.