• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Boosting hydraulic flow in Tak TB53FR

dbs

I have a Takeuchi TB53FR with 14 gpm hydraulic flow. I was needing more like 25gpm to run a hammer. The newer TB153FR has 25 gpm. The pumps on the two machines look almost identical. Does anyone know if the 153 pump might work on a 53. Thanks

lantraxco

Looks like they're combining both main pumps to get there, as both machines show two 14.8 GPM piston pumps for main functions.

So, don't change pumps, look for a way to valve both pump flows together, keeping in mind you don't have enough horsepower to max out pressure at that flow.

dbs

The parts book for the 53 shows one unit they call the pump drive which is apparently made up of several pumps all bolted together. The 153 parts book show a very similar pump drive. The 153 has only 2 more hp than the 53 so it should have nearly enough power.

lantraxco

Yep, not sure how much pressure you need to run your hammer. Also not sure how TAK controls the pumps in terms of pressure and flow, but I would think it could be done, just may take a bit of head scratching.

Look at the parts pages for the control valve stack, and if there's an aux spool section or an external aux valve. The 153 is combining flow somewhere, either two valve spools hooked together, or both pumps routed to a single aux valve spool.

dbs

You are probably right since it looks like the output of all the pumps in the hydraulic drive units of the 2 machines look to be identical with the same operating pressure(3000psi). I'll search for that difference in plumbing since it looks like they are using the same pump(hydraulic drive unit) in both machines. Thanks

dbs

I have looked over the hydraulic diagrams of the two machines. Of course they are quite complicated but I cannot see an obvious difference in the auxiliary circuits of the two machines yet the pumps seem to be nearly identical.

dbs

It will take me a day or so as I have to go to my church to do it but I will get it to you. The text is very small so it may be hard to read. Thanks

lantraxco

Okay, got crossed eyes now from trying to read those, lol. Double check me, the 153 drawing shows 55.9 LPM at the stop valves for the Aux circuit just like the 53 drawing, yes? Then right next to it is the 2nd optional aux circuit stop valves showing 38.9 LPM?

I dug around a bit on the specs and most brochures show the aux circuit for the 153 at the same flow as the 53, BUT the brochure for the US shows on the second page that High Flow Primary Auxiliary Hydraulics 25.6 gal / min is an option. So, it would appear that they're using a 2nd Aux valve section, the last one on the far right in the stack, to give you the flow from the larger gear pump. I have to assume they combine the flow from both valve sections to get the 25 GPM, but it's not shown that way on the drawing that I can see. But then it's pretty hard to follow those tiny lines and read the symbols.

Is your aux control done electrically? Should be able to plumb in an external relief valve and a solenoid diverter valve or a pilot operated one to bring the gear pump flow in at the same time your standard aux valve is activated. Not sure the lines will be big enough to handle the return flow, but if your hammer doesn't mind some back pressure it should be okay. You'll lose swing function while the hammer is activated but I wouldn't think that would be a big problem?

dbs

Thanks for the ideas, yes my auxiliary circuit is electronically controlled. I'm not very knowledgeable regarding hydraulics but I'll do some reading to understand the valves you are talking about but it sounds like it might work. Any source you would recommend for those valves? BTW the factory rep wouldn't write me back when I suggested ways to increase flow on the older machine, I guess the want to sell the new machines. Thanks again

lantraxco

Probably your best bet is to consult a local hydraulic shop, but get some references, or an equipment dealer that does hydraulic work and repair. Should be somebody in Anchorage? Maybe ask the factory rep about tying in the #3 gear pump as they apparently do on the 153, maybe that will give him somewhere to start with the factory engineers.

Something like this would probably work well, plumbed between the gear pump and the stock valve stack, you would need to tie in one extra hose to the return filter circuit:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydrau...V-VALVE-W-12-VDC-WORK-SECTION-PB-9SV-1E-Y.axd

You can buy these Prince valves or something similar just about anywhere, this place is a little over $400 for one of these. Your other Aux circuit already has port reliefs in it, so you could just tee the work port(s) into your existing Aux lines. You only need one line if you'll never need to run anything but a hammer or motor at high flow. Put a relay and a switch in connected to the stock controls, the switch so you can select standard flow or high flow, the relay to limit current draw on the existing control circuit.