• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bomag 120-AD3 Brake problem

ASPHALT04

Occupation
Owner / Doing whatever it takes to pay the bills!
I have a Bomag 120 that wont release the brakes. So far the e-stop switch; ignition; forward/rev control; and seat switches have checked out fine.
If I put power to solenoid the system works. I just can't find the relays to test or even know if they are the problem. I got about 6 unfruitfull hrs in this already:pointhead

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums ASPHALT04! :drinkup

stevinmonteur

Occupation
mechanic
bomag 120 AD-3

I have a Bomag 120 that wont release the brakes. So far the e-stop switch; ignition; forward/rev control; and seat switches have checked out fine.
If I put power to solenoid the system works. I just can't find the relays to test or even know if they are the problem. I got about 6 unfruitfull hrs in this already:pointhead

check out the circuit-board on the left side of the steering column.
take it out ( wrench 13 mm ) ,there are leds on it so you can check if it is working. problem could be the circuit-board or the electric connector/wiring below it.

marco

ASPHALT04

Occupation
Thanks, I actually figured out the problem a couple days ago........After testing everthing I found a bad connection the the seat switch jumper.......I fixed that and it still didn't change the power to the brake soleniod. I ended rooting thru the book somemore and tested power to all the relays and 1 didn't have power, then it hit me that that relay got power from the alternator,,,,DUH, start the engine. Started it up and everthing works. The problem was actually the seat switch jumper the whole time and I went so much deeper into than I really needed too.
Kind of like the old saying " Turn on the gas dummy".

ASPHALT04

Occupation
Anyone know a good place to find the poly-urethane scaper material for a roller? There has to be something cheaper than buying from bomag.

ASPHALT04

Occupation
Drive Motor

I guess I should have just called this thread Bomag 120 AD-3.

After getting my brake troubles solved and other repairs done the roller has sat in the shop in the same place for about 2 weeks without moving. I went in the shop about 3 days ago to find ,out of the blue, a hydralic puddle about 3' in diameter. :beatsme After some inspection, I found that the front drive motor had started leaking.

I pulled it off yesterday and took it to the bomag dealer for them to give me an opinion on it. They have to send it out to be looked at and I am awaiting an estimate on it. The real kicker is that bomag want $4k for a new one!!:eek: I am hoping al it needs is a seal kit!!

Anyone else ever run into this with a poclain motor?? :pointhead

ASPHALT04

Occupation
Well I'll just keep adding here myself LOL!

Bad news on hydraulic motor......unrebuildable. The brake trouble I was having caused massive internal damage to motor. Not great but better I came across a brand new motor of $2K.
The Bomag dealer wants me to show them where I found the connection problem and how I fixed it because they have had 1/2 dozen with same problem in past year and had to replace the drive motors. If I had been a bit quicker to replace the factory connector with a $1 butt splice I wouldn't be spending $2K and or posting in this thread!!:Banghead

Ryanrb25

so the brake being stuck on while trying to move the thing caused the motor to self distruct because it was kind of working against itself?

rhanglo

Occupation
Construction Director
I have a Bowmag bw130 ad vintage 1989 with just on 1000 hrs ex army.
The drum drive motors look like Hamworthy pumps from south wales uk. they fitted this pump to the Hymac 180BT for travel motors.
I have tried to post a thread but cant, maybe because I am new here.
My bw130 when the hyd oil gets to normal temp and working on semi rough terain the machine wont move back or forth, but when cold its ok. also the vibrator stopped workimg. when the machine on road travels ok hot or cold..any ideas.

samsonv8

have a 120 .vibrator stoped, pump seems fine, moved the valve for drum back front and pair , still nothing,