• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat t190 new alternator not charging

Hey guys I bought a t190 in good running condition but not charging. I replaced the ground cable and cleaned all connections in the engine compartment but still not charging. I replaced the alternator and still not charging. Any advice? Thanks

ozarkag

Make sure you have battery voltage at both the heavy output/ battery wire, and at the 2 wire plug. Plug will have one key switch power wire.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
You need to check the switched power exciter wire at the alternator, should be an orange wire. If the exciter circuit doesn't have power with the engine running the alternator won't charge

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I'd have to know the serial number to know for sure if I have the correct manual, but it's likely fuse 11 in the fuse box, that fuse should have power with engine running.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
The manuals I have are older than A3L s/n, but should still be fuse 11 Alt/Kits. Make sure it has power with engine running, if it does see if the orange wire at the alternator has power when running.

Ok, good news. I tested for power at the orange wire with ignition on, nothing. Went back to first plug and I did have power. So left my tester at the end and wiggled harness chasing it up and found what I think is a break in the wire. Plugged it back in and started. No charge. Wiggled harness where I think break is and voila, charging!! Soo happy! Thanks!!

alhouko

I think I am having the exact same issue on a T190. Can you describe where you found your break? Thanks

So with ignition on test for power at the orange wire going into alternator. If you don’t have power you’ve found a problem. Follow the harness back to the first 6 prong plug. 4 blues, an orange and one other. Test for power at the orange pin there on the tractor side. If you have power there then you know the break is in the orsnge wire in those three feet of harness. I found where the orange wire came out of the loom at a harsh 90 degree was where my break was. I carefully undid the harness loom and examined the orange wire, found the 100% break and repaired it with a quality crimp and heat shrink. Rebuilt the loom as best as possible with tape and zip ties.

alhouko

Thank you, I found that my 30amp fuse, as willie59 described in slot 11, was blown. Working now, replaced alternator earlier in the week so either the old alternator caused it or I will be following your instructions above and finding a short. Thanks