• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat Cold Planer issues

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
We rented a Bobcat cold planer 24" HF on a S300. When the mill head is engaged and the operator tries to adjust the depth controls it steals flow from the head to the point where the drum in dies in the cut. We are only cutting around 2" so its not a deep cut by any means. We have already switched loaders from the dealer and still no fix, so it must be in the attachment itself. The dealer also acknowledges that it is not operating correctly but the only option for today was switching out the loader..............anyone have any ideas?:confused:

Asphalt/Dirtman

Are you adjusting the depth while moving and milling?

It's pretty easy to stop a milling head when doing multiple functions (tilting or depth adjustments) and milling. Try this, if depth adjustment is needed, stop moving the machine, and make the adjustment. See if that helps any.

I'm not saying that it isn't the machine or the milling head , its just sometimes operators try to go to fast with a milling head and stall it out or the use of a side function at the same time stalls it out.

Good Luck

heymccall

That's normal operation for a 3 hose-connected planer. The only way to adjust and cut at same time is to use a 5 hose planer, like my old Alitec CP18. My 3 hose CP24 works just as you described.

BLconst

Has anyone out there used both a cat pc205 grinder and a universal coneteq? which did you like better? looking for a new cold planer and the repairs for the cat are crazy.

mrfrog359

i have run a 18 inch bobcat grinder and you can be moving forward and adjust the depth. i is a very very slow pace when running a skid loader grinder. if you ask me i do not like the bobcat grinder. you can not put enough down pressure on the head to keeping it from vibrating to bad. three years ago we bought a bradco 30 inch grinder. it is a much smoother grinder to run. the one thing we do differently is we use a t300 on our grinder for many reasons. i have never run a cat pc205 but that is about the same as the bradco. if you asked me i would point you to the cat grinder.