• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat 863 timing belt (deutz bf4m1011 timing)

grandpa

Yup,,, you better order up a sack of pushrods along with the belt. If it doesn't have bent pushrods he's the luckest man in the world and better go buy a lottery ticket.

Last edited by a moderator:

smeatdog

Stripped engine this morning and pulled out 8 S shaped push rods!!! Have been told there should be no other damage because of the way the pistons and cylinder head are signed, can afnyone else tell me different.........hopefully not thanks

grandpa

Stripped engine this morning and pulled out 8 S shaped push rods!!! Have been told there should be no other damage because of the way the pistons and cylinder head are signed, can afnyone else tell me different.........hopefully not thanks

Lol... your not any luckier than grandpa...... you should be good to go from my experience's.... sorry about the pushrods just the same.

tttahoe1

Gentlemen (and Donkeys),

I have a Bobcat 864 track machine. It is a burn victim. It has a Duetz diesel that is cooled with the circulating hydraulic oil.

Although only 3,400 hours on the engine (per the markings on the oil filter) - it needs to be rebuilt due to the fire.

If I am starting from square #1, would any of you switch the power plant from Duetz to Kubota? Or Izuzu? Or ???

Anything that could burn in the engine compartment - did. So, if I need to do some "creative" plumbing to run a different engine (per recommendations here) - I will.

I had an old 741 Bobcat that had an air cooled 2 cylinder Duetz. That engine was great. Obviously we are talking about a completely different beast with the 1011. AND.............since I know nothing about it - any pearls of wisdom would be most appreciated.

crewchief888

all the duetz engine i've pulled apart,after a broken belt, ive never seen any bent valves or damaged pistons. the pencil thin pushrods take all the damage.
i believe bobcat recomends a 3000hr service on the timing belt. i've seen them run much longer, and seen others break at 1000hrs :beatsme

:drinkup

crewchief888

Gentlemen (and Donkeys),

I have a Bobcat 864 track machine. It is a burn victim. It has a Duetz diesel that is cooled with the circulating hydraulic oil.

Although only 3,400 hours on the engine (per the markings on the oil filter) - it needs to be rebuilt due to the fire.

If I am starting from square #1, would any of you switch the power plant from Duetz to Kubota? Or Izuzu? Or ???

Anything that could burn in the engine compartment - did. So, if I need to do some "creative" plumbing to run a different engine (per recommendations here) - I will.

I had an old 741 Bobcat that had an air cooled 2 cylinder Duetz. That engine was great. Obviously we are talking about a completely different beast with the 1011. AND.............since I know nothing about it - any pearls of wisdom would be most appreciated.

you'll spend more time and money trying to swap in a watercooled engine in place of the oil cooled duetz.

you'll have to change intake and exhaust systems, cooling system, motor mounts, correct size flywheel, and engine electrical system for starters.

if it was mine, i'd rig up a temporary fuel supply, power up the fuel shutoff solinoid, stick an oil pressure guage in it, and see if it will run.

Bobcatdan

The spec is 3000 hr and from what I have seen, the penicl pusher who came up with the spec was pretty close. I start recommanding at 2500 and normally it isn't a hard sell. I've seen a few break early, but rarly go much pass. Never seen a vavle issue, the push rods always give. I don't know why guys want to do pull the engine to do the belt, it is a pretty easy three hours in the machine.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Some folks really dig the "change to something else" concept. Not me, too much work, hassle, and money. Folks have asked me "could you put X in this?" Reply...no. "Well joe six pack said it could be done". Reply...you didn't ask if it could be done, you asked if I could do it, the answer is no. :D

crewchief888

Some folks really dig the "change to something else" concept. Not me, too much work, hassle, and money. Folks have asked me "could you put X in this?" Reply...no. "Well joe six pack said it could be done". Reply...you didn't ask if it could be done, you asked if I could do it, the answer is no. :D

i'm with you willie59 :Banghead

my answer to these kinda situations is, "if it's so easy, then why dont you do it?"

Bobcatdan

I have changed the belt on the side of the road for a guy who didn't want to haul it an hour one way to the shop.

tttahoe1

Willie,

You've always had good advice. I will follow you and rest of team's recommendation and stick with the Duetz.

biodiesel

The injector pumps(one per cylinder) are run off the camshaft therefore setting the cam timing is setting the injector pump timing as long as this was a running engine that you are doing a timing belt service on.

Good Evening folks, I’m working on a Deutz BF4M1011F and I lost the timing on the cam and crankshaft, I bought the pins to look the but the only one that has a hole is the Camshaft. How do I set the timing on the Crankshaft?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
It's a plug on the opposite corner of the engine of the cam timing plug. Cam timing hole is on right rear of block, crank timing hole opposite on left front of block.