• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat 331 - Hydraulic Oil Change - drain hole on hydraulic motor

melli

Has anyone come up with a high pressure solution for making hydraulic oil changes less messy?
The allen key bolt for draining hydraulic oil is on hydraulic motor...it is flush with motor. Once I take out bolt, oil gets friggin everywhere...
Now, the engine oil change is an absolute pleasure because a nice hose is sitting there for one to stick into a bucket. I probably change the engine oil too often because it is so easy.
However, the hydraulic oil change is a nightmare. Has anyone bought a tap or fashioned a high pressure hose to the hydraulic motor to facilitate easier hydraulic oil changes? Please show me what you did!
I go through a roll of paper towel mopping up the mess...

20151129_125208 - drain hole (Large).jpg

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
If the surrounding frame allows I typically fashion a drain trough out of sheet metal to direct the oil into a bucket. As for oil mess while removing the plug, simply have a helper place the snout of a shop vac hose on the fill hole of the hydraulic tank, don't have to seal it off completely, just apply some vacuum to the tank. Take the plug out, gently remove the vacuum and allow oil to flow down the sheet metal trough. And next time you take that plug out identify the threads. If it's pipe thread, get an adapter that will take you to JIC, then have a hose made to connect to the JIC adapter and stick out the rear of the machine to drain the oil next time.

melli

If the surrounding frame allows I typically fashion a drain trough out of sheet metal to direct the oil into a bucket. As for oil mess while removing the plug, simply have a helper place the snout of a shop vac hose on the fill hole of the hydraulic tank, don't have to seal it off completely, just apply some vacuum to the tank. Take the plug out, gently remove the vacuum and allow oil to flow down the sheet metal trough. And next time you take that plug out identify the threads. If it's pipe thread, get an adapter that will take you to JIC, then have a hose made to connect to the JIC adapter and stick out the rear of the machine to drain the oil next time.

Like the trough idea...as for getting all the parts, yeah, I must do it when I don't need to use the machine for a few days.
I wondered if there was some issue with having a hose hanging off the pump. Such a god-awful setup as is.
Gave me an idea...put a quick connect on that port, so a hose can be attached when needed? hmmm

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Well, they hang a hose from the drain port on the engine oil pan. :)

Or, simply install a pipe thread (if that's what it is) to male JIC adapter, put a cap on the male JIC. When you want to drain, crack the cap loose, apply some vacuum to the reservoir with the shop vac, remove the JIC cap and fix a hose to the JIC male fitting then release the vacuum. Once it's drain, re-install JIC cap. Minimal mess. ;)

melli

Willie - your vacuum idea sounds like a headache, but your right, I need to get something on there...a JIC with cap, similar to what is on engine would at least allow me to get a funnel under/over it. Will see what the local equipment store can make up (they do hydraulic hoses). If I can have it long enough and strap it up high, I can do what I do for engine. Remove plug up high, then stick hose in a pail. Don't even need gloves.
I was just concerned there is some reason why one cannot have a high pressure hydraulic hose attached to pump. Other than another possible leak source, I suppose there is no issue. Just hope I can get enough threads into plug hole so it can withstand the high pressure? As I recall, plug is very similar to plugs on drive motors...

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Actually, applying a vacuum to the hydraulic tank fill port isn't any problem at all, I've done it many times, it's really not a headache. And the port you mentioned in your first post, the one with the arrow pointing to it, that's not high pressure, that's the suction line from the hydraulic tank that feeds the pump, there's no pressure there.

lantraxco

Adapter, ball valve, quick coupler, drain hose. It ain't makin' hamburgers guys, lol. The ball valve is so she don't suck air at the coupler. Or you can just use a pipe plug on the end of the ball valve, remove the plug and screw your drain hose on each time.

melli

Actually, applying a vacuum to the hydraulic tank fill port isn't any problem at all, I've done it many times, it's really not a headache. And the port you mentioned in your first post, the one with the arrow pointing to it, that's not high pressure, that's the suction line from the hydraulic tank that feeds the pump, there's no pressure there.

Doh! Didn't notice that for some strange reason...once in a while, I am looking, but nothing is happening upstairs...lol
Thx for pointing that out (the part about it not being high pressure).

Lantraxco - like your idea. Just have to deal with one more messy job...wish I knew the size of that plug.
I suppose I could partially unscrew it and measure it...

melli

While I was looking for that elusive female quick coupler at the hydro shop, I got an idea similar to what Lantraxco had in mind.
Since I have the hose for the diagnostic kit, I will use that and just plug into this setup...might reverse it, and put the male end on instead...all good.
Just one more messy Hydro oil change....
20160910_114630 (Large).jpg

melli

Problem solved....did a full oil and filter (4) change. Absolute disaster try to catch the oil coming out of pump. :Banghead
Hopefully, this setup will make it 'enjoyable'.

Might put a male end on pump...

20161009_183313 (Large).jpg