• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat 331 fuel issues

RebelRider

I currently own a 2004 bobcat 331 mini ex. With a climate controlled cab and kubota diesel. I've had it for a few years with only minor issues (tracks, pins, etc.)
I was working it this past weekend for a few hours when it lost Rpms and died. After inspection I found that I'm not getting any fuel from the tank. The tank is nearly full but nothing is coming out of the hose Into the primer bulb. I've read on some other threads where the fuel pickup line inside the tank can deteriorate and have to be replaced (which I think is my problem). Well my noob question is, how do I access the fuel tank? From Inside the cab? Romove seat/floor plate? Any help is greatly appreciated.....

jkiser96

Occupation
Concrete truck driver / business owner
I had the same issue with my 2004 430 ZHS. We drained the tank & open the top of the tank & found, what looked like, soybeans in the tank. I am not sure what they were but they were plugging up the pickup tube. we had to use a shopvac to get them out. It is a pain to get to all the areas of the tank. We had to do it 2 times. Good luck & hopefully this helps.

RebelRider

Thanks for the reply. It has to be something clogging it pretty bad. I tried blowing into the line with my compressor, but it wouldn't budge. I was able to rig up a boat fuel tank, so I could drive it back up to my shop.......
Unfortunately, it looks like I might have to buy a manual.....

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I haven't worked on the fuel tank of a 331 so don't know much about them. But if there resemble other Bobcat designs, they used a check valve at end of pickup tube inside tank so blowing back into fuel line either does nothing or it blows the pickup tube off the fitting in the tank.

RebelRider

I haven't worked on the fuel tank of a 331 so don't know much about them. But if there resemble other Bobcat designs, they used a check valve at end of pickup tube inside tank so blowing back into fuel line either does nothing or it blows the pickup tube off the fitting in the tank.
Well that explains not being able to blow into the tube. Lol
It's driving me crazy that I can't find anywhere on the net on how to get to the tank....

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Sorry, just haven't done a lot of work on Bobcat mini ex's. But what little I have done to them, nearly nothing easy to get to or work on with those things. :Banghead

jkiser96

Occupation
We had to take the floor pan up in the cab to get to the sending unit. That is how we had to work on everything. It was not easy by any means.
Good Luck

Scuba_Si

how about turn the primer bulb the other way around and see if it unblocks the problem before you rip things apart?

Dont forget to turn the primer bulb around again before you start the engine!

RebelRider

how about turn the primer bulb the other way around and see if it unblocks the problem before you rip things apart?

Dont forget to turn the primer bulb around again before you start the engine!
That's the same concept as trying to blow air through the line.......
Thanks for the suggestion though......

RebelRider

UPDATE:
I pulled the floor mat and front floor plate. I don't think pulling the plate was necessary but made things easier. There is already an access hole where the pickup line goes in but most people cannot fit their hands in there. I pulled the nipple out of the tank and either the line came off when I did that or it was already about rotted off. I tried looking down into the tank, but couldn't really see much besides fuel. I added a new piece of fuel line for the pickup and reinstalled everything. I'm back up and running and have put about 2hrs on it with no issues. Thanks for everyones help....

jkiser96

Occupation
That is good that it was a relatively easy fix.