• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat 325 House Swing Issues

thahn1608

I'm looking at a 1996 Bobcat 325 mini-excavator. I went and saw it this evening, but...

I noticed a couple problems that need attention and was wondering if anyone had the same issues or know what it could be. When I would swing the house around it would jerk when starting to move, but once it was moving it moved smooth. It didn't matter which direction I was headed and it did it every time. Also... when I moved the boom from side to side the law of "equal and opposite reaction" kicked in and it caused the house to jerk a little bit. I'm assuming it's not a hydraulic issue, but more of a hard connection like a pin and boss or sloppy gears. Does anyone have any experience on the 325? is it a simple problem or is it a major issue that requires the house to be removed and major work done... Like I said I'm looking to purchase it, but need to know what I'm getting into. Thanks ahead of time!

Lil' Puss

I'm not sure about the Bobcat but on mine there is an actual spring loaded cab (house) brake that is released by hydraulic pressure only when the cab is swung. Yours may be similar. If you have electric or manual joysticks then all bets are off because I have direct action levers. :beatsme

Last edited:

mikebramel

I'm looking at a 1996 Bobcat 325 mini-excavator. I went and saw it this evening, but...

I noticed a couple problems that need attention and was wondering if anyone had the same issues or know what it could be. When I would swing the house around it would jerk when starting to move, but once it was moving it moved smooth. It didn't matter which direction I was headed and it did it every time. Also... when I moved the boom from side to side the law of "equal and opposite reaction" kicked in and it caused the house to jerk a little bit. I'm assuming it's not a hydraulic issue, but more of a hard connection like a pin and boss or sloppy gears. Does anyone have any experience on the 325? is it a simple problem or is it a major issue that requires the house to be removed and major work done... Like I said I'm looking to purchase it, but need to know what I'm getting into. Thanks ahead of time!

Check the end play on the swing bearing ring gear to the swing motor, it is probably your problem

thahn1608

Thanks guys. I feel that the cost of the machine and the cost of the repairs are not in line with what a good used machine should be. Perhaps they'll be another...

thahn1608

The machine has 1,800 hours and the asking price is $11k. It has a few other issues that need dealt with before it could be put into service so I'm going to pass. I see it being a money pit. Thanks guys!