• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bleeding Brakes On A Cat 953 20Z01 "A" Series Loader

TCat

Hello everyone. First I would like to thank everyone for the great info I have picked up here by reading everyone's posts and replies over the years. Also a huge shout out to Offload Equipment Parts as I have been buying a number of parts from there lately to get my old girl into shape. Their parts are a huge savings to me for an older farm and camp machine over what I would have to pay to Cat.

Anyway, on to my particular question. I had to replace a rusted out brake line which was leaking on the loader and now that I went to bleed the brakes, I don't seem to have the same brake block assembly with the "U" tube on it under the ROPS as is indicated in the service manual that I have. I also don't have the manual brake release pump knobs to the left of the (steering and brake ) pedals that are shown in my service manual. My block under the ROPS has two hard lines coming up from under the back of the machine which go to the block, then a hose that goes to the Trans pump. There does not appear to be any bleeding port on the block unless I am missing it.

So the question is are my brakes self bleeding, or do I need to do some other method to bleed air from my brake lines so the brakes will unlock?

Model # 20Z01675
Arrangement # 5G6880

Thanks in advance. Tim

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
I have replaced a brake line on my 953. I just put it on and went. I did not bleed anything.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
Not completely sure which parts you are referring to. If you can take a picture of the area I will look and see. But I don't believe I have a break release.

TCat

Georgia- Sorry for it taking a while for me to respond, I've been working midnights. Ugh. Anyway here are some pics of my machine and the pic from the manual that I was speaking of. I checked the front cover of that section of the manual and it seems that section pertaining to maintenance is for 20Z1 machines and up, and mine is a 20Z0 which probably explains the difference.

Perhaps the brakes on my machine (and yours I guess) are self bleeding?
IMG_5158.JPG IMG_5160.JPG IMG_5162.JPG

cb75

That "U" tube assembly is for towing the machine I believe. I've never worked on one that had that option. As far as bleeding goes, you shouldn't need to do any. I've replaced a number of brakes lines on Cat loaders without ever bleeding them.