• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best Mini Excavator Line

MDig

Purchasing multiple machines between 1.7 Ton and 5 Ton for a fleet renewal. In conversation with multiple dealers/brands (Cat, Volvo, JD, Hitachi, Case, Kubota, Case, Tak and Yanmar)
Thoughts on the best all round lineup. Currently been running the Kubota and Volvo? Any thoughts / problems with the brands would be appreciated

drummer

Occupation
Site Contractor
I have several CAT excavators (from 303.5 up to 330, 7 total) and my dealer support in SC is phenomenal. Deere, Volvo, Case, and the others cannot even think about approaching the support that Blanchard CAT gives across our state. We have been in business 53 years (small company) but are treated equal to anyone. Parts in 1 day without shipping charges, great info from service people, and multiple locations throughout the state. Down time has been minimal if non-existent. Hope this helps.

excavator

Number 1 is parts and service. If you can't get taken care of in a timely manner, it doesn't matter what brand you have. Finding an established dealer is also crucial, someone who is likely to be around in 10 years or so. Also try to find one which only sells one brand, not a company that changes brands every couple of years. In our area I've seen so many times that a dealer will bring in a line of equipment but within a few years they drop it, leaving customers stranded. Owner and operator preference is also important, if the operators don't like a particular machine they're more likely to abuse it. I personally like the Deere/Hitachi line but for a mini, Kubota is pretty hard to beat.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Takeuchi makes a good machine across their entire line. I like the Wacker Nueson mini ex, the VDS is option is very cool, they build the smaller mini excavators for CAT.

eric12

the dealer support is one of the most important things, and how much your willing to spend. i really like komatsu, kobelco, and cat. i wasn't impressed with john deere, kubota or bobcat. as for takeuchi I've only dealt with a takeuchi tb 175 and it was a nice machine, simple but nice and built well. my favorite is probably komatsu but they have a good dealer near me and they work well for what i need.

Jbmay72

Occupation
Equipment sales
You can never go wrong with Tak's, was rep with united rentals and customers would push back rentals to wait for a tak. Tracked loader or mini. Even if I had new bobcats or deeres sitting, they would wait for a tak.

Pound for pound, tak's rock. Dealer support isn't as import as the other brands because tak's run and run.

Simple power

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I have been running Tak TB153's since 2003. Very little issues with them. I wish they would spend more time on the cab, but the machines run well. After renting the Wacker Neuson mini ex for several months last Summer, I really got to appreciate what they do with a mini ex. Digging on uneven ground is much easier with the VDS system that they have, its a great idea, saves a ton of time.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
You need to see what the tak fr series of machines are truly capable on in tight quarters to appreciate them. I run a 053fr and I can dig in an 8' wide alley, and place the spoils in a dump behind me, no other machine can work in that tight od a radius. Yes, the taks are a no frills machine, but they are solid performers, and are very strong for their weight.

melli

Parts and service are one thing...history of downtime for each brand is another. There is such fervent loyalty to each brand, it is impossible to know which one is best. There is no consumers digest or any other objective reviews of ex's. I read countless issues about each machine, but nothing conclusive. Then one has to weigh it against the cost of the machine...
A real bugbear of mine is the specs...almost meaningless. If a mini can bucket curl 8k worth of rock all day long, for years without having to change bushings, is it worse than one that can curl 9k, that needs bushings, ram seals, and a pump rebuild in two years? Maybe the owner of the first one is a hill billy (like me), who could care less about a 1000lbs, but doesn't have the deep pockets to repair daily, or the ability to write it off.
The OP wants to buy new? I'd look at which sized machines I need, then find out amongst all of them which offers the longest ironclad warranty of the lot. Which one does onsite fixes the same day. Talk to owners of each brand to see if the dealer is worth their salt. Find out how much maintenance items cost for each machine (especially big ticket wear items). Lastly, fuel efficiency...plug it into a matrix to see which costs the less over a 2-3 yr span. Then look at resale values.

If I was buying new, I'd look at each machine and see which one had the biggest bushings/pins, the stoutest boom and arm, the one with longest runs of solid hyd piping, an engine maker with a history of longevity, biggest ring gear, least amount of sheet metal, best weather-tight electrical connectors, simplest hydraulic setup, minimal electronics, 2 ram blade setup, drive motors with a long life history and cheapest rebuild kits (same for main pump), centrally located grease banks, best weatherized and insulated interior, controls you can deflect with your body weight and they won't break, doors you can repeatedly slam without bending, and a machine that has easiest access to all the guts so one doesn't have to strip the interior to change the fuel pickup in tank.

Last edited:

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
I prefer the Deere line, and the main reason is the dealer support that is within 10 minutes of our operation.

grk82

I love my Kubota's, zero issues with them. Im sure all the newer minis are pretty good machines, the Bobcats look nice and I hear great things about the Tak's. When I was looking for a couple new machines everyone kept pointing me to the Kubotas and Taks. I ended up with two new Kubotas, if they both have great power and reliability I figured I would go with the better looking machine with a more comfortable cab. Tak also doesn't have great dealer support in my area.