• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best jobs for D5H LGP

cannuck

I recently bought a D5H with 6 way blade to clear land, build roads, level pads, etc. on our little farm (raw land). I was going to grab a cheap piece with a few hours left, but decided I did not need another thing to fix when time is at a premium. So, stumbled across a 1995 D5H with cab, LGP, no attachments, but 6.5k hours, 200 hr undercarriage and blade as above. It came from a long time small dealer who took it on trade from a neighbour - so its history is well known. Everything works as advertised, so I will bring it home when the last of equipment scattered all over 4 jobsites are back in the yard (1,000 kms away for some) for winter.

It was important to me to stay pre-electronic (I will fix myself), and I already have a couple of D330 gensets, so somewhat familiar with the engine. Beyond that, I confess to near total ignorance about dozers. I have operated an ancient D6 a wee bit, but getting close to the end of the last century will be a new experience, for sure. What are the good (and bad) highlights/features of this machine in this configuration? What is the sweet spot for jobs I should be chasing? I have an experienced operator available, not at all interested in putting it out on rent unless I can control both operation and maintenance.

Comments?

nicky 68a

I have had one of these tractors for nearly 20 years and it's been the best of about 13 cat dozers that I've owned

farmin

Got a 1989 model. It's a tough old girl. The few issues I've had I've found help here and have never had to have CAT out to help fix. It's a simple machine and if I ever upgraded to something bigger or slightly less used I'd try to stay pre electronic again. I'm not sure where my machine was made I'm kind of curious now.

cannuck

I have to bring this new lawn ornament home, and I guess the first question for that is how best to tie it down to the trailer. I will use a rented single drop tandem beavertail (don't know if my rollback will lift 34k so will not take a chance until it is home in yard). Since I have a drawbar, I am assuming a pair of doubled over 1/2" grade 70 transport chains will meet the required brake (or crash) load of 80% if at sufficient angle. BUT: what do I do at the front? Blade has to be full sweep to get under 12'6" max for no pilot car, and I am not at all crazy about chaining up directly to the 34" track pads. What works and is legal?

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
I have had one of these tractors for nearly 20 years and it's been the best of about 13 cat dozers that I've owned

Too bad your on the other side of the pond. I'd be first in line for yours when it comes time!