• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best bolts for hitch?

Johndeere120

Alright so I finally got my pickup and dump truck hitches very nice and heavy duty. Question I have now is does anyone know what bolts to use? I assume grade 8 will do and if so where should I get them? I heard tractor supply bolts are from overseas but not sure. I just want to get the best bolts possible or else it doesn't matter how strong the hitch is! Thanks guys

Johndeere120

Hard to beat Caterpillar for consistent quality. I also like to use flanged frame bolts grade 8 available from your favorite truck repair shop.
Yeah I heard cat bolts are good. So I can go to the dealer and just ask for grade 8 bolts with nuts? I only been to cat once everything I own is john deere

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Just walk in like you own the place. They will be glad to see a new customer. They won’t have the prevailing torque lock nuts, like Truck Shop recommends, in the Cat system.

Go to Kenworth for them. And treat yourself to a fresh K-Dub ball cap in their gift shop while you are there.

They might even have a Lucus oil display cranky thing on the counter. Give it a try.

Johndeere120

Just walk in like you own the place. They will be glad to see a new customer. They won’t have the prevailing torque lock nuts, like Truck Shop recommends, in the Cat system.

Go to Kenworth for them. And treat yourself to a fresh K-Dub ball cap in their gift shop while you are there.

They might even have a Lucus oil display cranky thing on the counter. Give it a try.
Lol love those things

Truck Shop

Stover Nut.
CE-H0032_webstoreimage.jpg

Johndeere120

Best-est bolts don't do much without torquing them properly.
Thread lock and around 120-140 foot lbs what I was told. Didn't use the wrench just felt it by hand but they're tight. I'm not worried about that for a pickup towing 6 tons. When I do the dump truck I'll probably use a torque wrench since I'm towing considerably more

MG84

What size dump truck and how much are you towing? Just curious since this and the hitch itself seem to be quite the decision.

Johndeere120

What size dump truck and how much are you towing? Just curious since this and the hitch itself seem to be quite the decision.
Single axle but switching to a triaxle in the summer. Reason I'm so concerned is because almost all hitches sold in stores are from overseas and lately I been seeing a lot of people posting pintle hitches snapped off and that can kill someone. If I'm going to spend money I want to do it once and do it right and be done with it. That's the only reason I'm concerned because of lack of quality these days that can take out multiple people with an excavator flipping over doing 65. Not to mention jail time probably lol

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Thread lock and around 120-140 foot lbs what I was told. Didn't use the wrench just felt it by hand but they're tight. I'm not worried about that for a pickup towing 6 tons. When I do the dump truck I'll probably use a torque wrench since I'm towing considerably more
Bolts, even the best, break from NOT being torqued tight enough.
At a much lower load than normal breaking.

Johndeere120

Bolts, even the best, break from NOT being torqued tight enough.
At a much lower load than normal breaking.
Do you know what 1/2 inch grade 8 should be torqued to? It felt like if I went much more i would strip it out. I am no expert in bolts that's why I'm asking

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Do you know what 1/2 inch grade 8 should be torqued to? It felt like if I went much more i would strip it out. I am no expert in bolts that's why I'm asking
My chart is at work, please stay tuned.

FWIW 120-140 ft. lbs may be the proper torque, but use a torque wrench.

Many times I set the wrench, and I'm pulling and pulling, and wondering "when is it gonna click",
making it much tighter that I would have done "freehand".

Make sure you also clean under the head, and where the nut/washer seat, so there is no relaxing
after torquing.
CAT discusses this in detail for applying crawler shoes/plates IIRC.

Last edited: