• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best All Around Skid Steer

copelanddev

I am looking for advise purchasing a track skid steer. Main use in building construction moving dirt & rock multiple users. Looking at the 85 hp range.
Any major problems to stay away from any brand? Have been looking at T300 and 289

Thanks.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
skidsteer

I am looking for advise purchasing a track skid steer. Main use in building construction moving dirt & rock multiple users. Looking at the 85 hp range.
Any major problems to stay away from any brand? Have been looking at T300 and 289

Thanks.
I think there is another thread going on about this. I really like the Takeuchi brand, they are hard to kill. Sounds like you might be looking for a 150 size. Even the 130 size are tough machines and they lift more than they are rated at
Check your local Craigslist, sometimes you can find them at a good price, check eBay also

Last edited:

Excavator759

Occupation
excavator, demolition, site work contractor
i have a New holland C185. i have had very good luck with new holland skid steers. the visibility and stability are better than any machine. if you demo them all you will see. i had a new cat 289 parked at my yard a couple weeks ago that i took a lil spin in and liked it a lot, but i am a short guy and couldnt see out of the back like my new holland. take into consideration what you will be doing most of. look at the balance of the machine if you are doing a lot of grading some machines weight is distributed differently. i build a lot of motocross tracks and no other machine will track up the face of jumps or hills like a newholland, but they are tipsy compared to other machines when loading material into high trucks. has anyone run a new komatsu?? thay look pretty nice

rockman

i have a New holland C185. i have had very good luck with new holland skid steers. the visibility and stability are better than any machine. if you demo them all you will see. i had a new cat 289 parked at my yard a couple weeks ago that i took a lil spin in and liked it a lot, but i am a short guy and couldnt see out of the back like my new holland. take into consideration what you will be doing most of. look at the balance of the machine if you are doing a lot of grading some machines weight is distributed differently. i build a lot of motocross tracks and no other machine will track up the face of jumps or hills like a newholland, but they are tipsy compared to other machines when loading material into high trucks. has anyone run a new komatsu?? thay look pretty nice

Excavator759

Have your track-frames started to lean in at all ?.
I have a c190 , the frames have leant in over 30mm + out of level .

Cheers

Bobcat s330

I will agree that the visibility to the rear of the cat is a horror show but new holland only has good rear visibilty other then that you cant even see the tracks on the new holland when the loaders arms are down. Also i dont think the visibiliy is good to the cutting edge either. Bobcat and case machines both have better visibility then the new holland and cat

Excavator759

Occupation
excavator, demolition, site work contractor
wow i havent heard anything about that yet? as far i know they arent but i havent really looked, and it only has about 300 hours on it. how many hours do you have on your machine and what are your plans for resolving that?

combine76

We've ran all kinds of skid steers. I own and would highly reccomend a Case 450ct. The only disadvantage is the wide track width at 84" you need a deckover trailer for transport.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
We've ran all kinds of skid steers. I own and would highly reccomend a Case 450ct. The only disadvantage is the wide track width at 84" you need a deckover trailer for transport.

I have never run a 450CT but I hear a lot of how impressive they are in their ability to push. The biggest complaint is also the how wide they are. Massive looking machine.

DRPEPPER

i would go with the cat iv ran them all and love the cat great power reliable im short to and i just run it with the seat aired most of the way up and can see fine

ripntear

What about ASV/TEREX? I'm leaning towards purchasing one of these machines. Any input would be appreciated.

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
ASV are terrible bobcats in my opinion because the undercarrige is way to expencive to run, thats why cat is shying away from using it as much. Also the biggest problem i have found with them is that the loader has limmited hight and reach, so you cant load a truck over 6 ft , they do make a great brush mower and attachment carryer but they are just to expencive to run and awkward to see out of for me.

I run a ctl 80 made by gehl it is the same as a tak but i have noticed that they are built with poorer quality than a cat or a deere, they have solid u/c unlike cat or deere and because of this i have found it wears bolts off and cracks out welds everywhere.

Good machines for the rite conditions but not long lasting, Also they push like a 8 and have the price of a toyota

TERM101

I've got 2 case machines..and ill tell you that ill never own another 450CT again, I dont care if they give them to me. The machine is a great machine but I have to work on it every time I get done using it. The machine recieves every scheduled maintenance and then some, and it has not been abused. Constant hydraulic leaks, electrical safety switches malfunction regularly, both front idlers went bad at 500 hrs..Absolutely will never EVER buy another case machine. Ive had 2 300's and a 320 and loved those machines, the only problem I ever had on both of em was the water pump. Im thinking about buying a cat machine and try it out.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I've got 2 case machines..and ill tell you that ill never own another 450CT again, I dont care if they give them to me. The machine is a great machine but I have to work on it every time I get done using it. The machine recieves every scheduled maintenance and then some, and it has not been abused. Constant hydraulic leaks, electrical safety switches malfunction regularly, both front idlers went bad at 500 hrs..Absolutely will never EVER buy another case machine. Ive had 2 300's and a 320 and loved those machines, the only problem I ever had on both of em was the water pump. Im thinking about buying a cat machine and try it out.

Thats too bad you have not had good luck with your 450CT. I have had over a dozen CASE machines and I wouldn't own anything else. I guess everyone makes "that machine" every now and then. Too bad you got one. You should talk to your CASE regional rep. you might get some help.

I have a new JD 329D. Fantastic machine. Well thought out. Ergonomics are perfect.
Visibility, power,handling,features are all top shelf. I thoroughly tested Bobcat A300, JD 332, Case 445ct, Bobcat T300, and CAT 289C. Asking $ was 75K. Actual sale price $63 K. V radiator setup is very effective. Still new so no real issues yet. Can't say enough about how much I like it.

Builtstronger

Occupation
General Construction
ASV is not designed for construction, not designed for any kind of abuse or mistreatment. I am sure there are people that swear by them and they work great for them. They are just not a muilti-porpous machine. Cat has the best undercarriage, and it is easy to service.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
ASV is not designed for construction, not designed for any kind of abuse or mistreatment. I am sure there are people that swear by them and they work great for them. They are just not a muilti-porpous machine. Cat has the best undercarriage, and it is easy to service.

If your refering to the CAT MTL as having the best undercarriage, I think you are in the very small minority that believes that. The ASV and MTL are the same undercarriage. ASV seems to have better life than does CATs version, mostly due to reduced weight is the general thought.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I think its a little early to sing its praises yet, but I agree that it has to be better than the MTL.

I was just in Billings this weekend. Looks like building is picking up for your guys. I noticed a fair amount of new building projects and a good bit of Iron on jobs. Hopefully that will spread West.

kuangqy

Occupation
engineer
I tnink bobcat is better than case. I can easy to turn the cab of bobcat than case's.
If the machine can't start, we can turn the bobcat cab,but the case 410/420/430/440's can't. what is your opinion?

Allgood

I've had a couple of Bobcats and then used a concrete contractor's Tak 150 and ran away from Bobcat. Both Bobcats I had ended up with tweaked loader arms from me prying on stuff. The concrete contractor runs a pretty good sized operation and has about a half a dozen of the Takeuchi 150's and they've never twisted a loader on any of them and they abuse the heck out of them. At my place I saw them get one corner of the bucket under a slab and just jerk and pry and yank etc. until they broke a section loose. He said that's the way they run them all day every day with no problem.

I followed suit and bought a few nasty ones, cleaned them up and sold for a profit until I found a really low hour Mustang MTL25, which is the same as the Tak 150. I really like the machine and found that it can be smooth and precise as well as just be a battering ram. I've dug, ripped out asphalt, concrete, trees and used it as a small dozer with my 4 in 1 bucket on it. It's impossible for me to claim it's the "best" since I clearly can't, I can just say that I'm very, very pleased with it and with regular maintenance I've never broken anything on it yet.