• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

BC track issue??

DirtCrawler

Looking for some opinions on this. Used Bobcat. This is just one one side of the machine. The other side does not show any signs of the same. Not owning one im wondering if there is a issue. Guessing someone here has seen something like this or ran into it at some point.
Was told that something may have gotten stuck between track and machine.
But looks to me more like track may have slipped off and rubbed up against the machine.
Thanks for any insight.

124033.jpg 124101.jpg 124441.jpg

Welder Dave

Track may have came off but doesn't look like very serious damage. Are they the original tracks or have they been replaced? Putting a track on could do it.

DirtCrawler

low hour machine so im guessing original tracks. Forgot to mention that they are 16 wide tracks.

DirtCrawler

No ideas? Simple as track coming off, or something with the roller suspension I should check to see if its the cause?

DirtCrawler

Already asked..The owner sells small equipment on the side, he said he bought it from a dealer couple states away.
Asked the owner, the only answer i got was that he thought that something may have gotten stuck between track and machine.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
That doesn't look to me like something got stuck. Those rub marks were caused by the track rubbing on the frame. Not a big deal, if the machine detracted and was run for a bit, you would expect to see something like that. I would maybe make sure the track undercarriage is straight and true and nothing is bent causing it to repeatedly throw a track. I doubt it is anything to be worried about but I have seen machines dropped when craning them into foundations and things bend or break. Wouldn't take much to inspect to be sure its all good.

DirtCrawler

I would maybe make sure the track undercarriage is straight and true and nothing is bent causing it to repeatedly throw a track.

Wouldn't take much to inspect to be sure its all good.

So is this something that is easy to do? Cant believe it would be as easy as just eyeing up the track to the machine.
Whats required to inspect it?
Then I guess theres the issue of a place for rust to strart creeping in and spreading out since its such a large area?

Vetech63

It looks like the track had come off the idler to the inside at some point and was run that way for a while. You can either repair or replace that sheet metal there if you are concerned with it. If your track is on correctly at this point and has the correct tension, this shouldn't be an issue.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
It could have lost the bearing in the idler, letting the track walk side to side. I've had that happen on T250's before.

Put someone in the machine to drive it forwards and backwards while you watch the track. See if the track is tracking correctly.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
It could have lost the bearing in the idler, letting the track walk side to side. I've had that happen on T250's before.

Put someone in the machine to drive it forwards and backwards while you watch the track. See if the track is tracking correctly.

Yea I agree, it was bent you would know by standing in front of the machine and watch it as it approaches you. If there is a problem it would be obvious. Also look in side the track and look at how the steel guides on the track are wearing. They should be equal.

DirtCrawler

It looks like the track had come off the idler to the inside at some point and was run that way for a while. You can either repair or replace that sheet metal there if you are concerned with it. If your track is on correctly at this point and has the correct tension, this shouldn't be an issue.

I don't own the machine, im looking at it, to possibly buy. Trying to figure out if this could be the start of a major issue.

Yea I agree, it was bent you would know by standing in front of the machine and watch it as it approaches you. If there is a problem it would be obvious. Also look in side the track and look at how the steel guides on the track are wearing. They should be equal.

Ok thanks for the heads up, I will keep this in mind, hoping to go look at it again soon.
Anything else I should check or look over for?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I am not overly familiar with BC wear issues on their newer machines. However as I reread the post, my radar goes off on the back story. The reseller you are dealing with, bought it from a dealer a couple states away. So he must have bought it cheap enough from a dealer to allow him a profit plus the cost to ship it. Why is that? If the dealer wanted, he could have sold it in his own territory at a reduced rate, but he didn't. Sometimes dealers will ship a machine out of the area when its a problem machine, and they don't want to contaminate their area with a reputation killer. You might want to see if you can find out what was done to the machine while it was under warranty. I am sure any BC dealer could run the VIN and tell you that (assuming they are willing to). There are of course other reasons that this machine came to be where it is that don't revolve around it being a problem machine. But...… I will take the tin foil hat off now.