• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

BC logging equipment left to rust

exploring

Post up some pictures.
Well I tried unsuccessfully to find the bear creek skidder today. Got absolutely soaked. Found the old Bear creek trestle that was fricking impressive for what's left and how vertical the one side was vs other side being easier to climb down. Remembering what it used to be. Photo of old bear creek trestle from today

Attachments

• 20240128_152404.jpg
    20240128_152404.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 38

bccat

Occupation
Retired millwright,Heavy Equipment Operator
Nothing rude. Love exploring. Helps when I have a general area to look in. What's wrong with being interested in bc mining logging rail history .
It’s the way you asked. Most of these machines are on private land. You have to get permission to take pictures by the owner with the understanding that their location not be told. Just because you just take pictures , doesn’t mean some other person or person’s would do the same. These machines are still around because the owners have kept the locations Unknown ,Also there’s an insurance liability, most owners are private people & don’t want to deal with people, I was one of them, word got out about our collection , it was a pain in the a$$ We are lucky to have people like Skadill . Don’t kid yourself, a picture can give you a general idea where the machines are. scrappers are vultures. If you pm‘ed Skadill you would get basically the same answer, which you should have done!. Lose lip’s sink ship’s.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Boy if the price of scrap ever came back up a guy could be rich!
I heard a story years ago that Scadill posted some pics of some very old trucks on a Island..I have a pics. He disclosed there location and a scrap guy came in and took all the trucks..That mistake will never happen again...DSC_0002.jpgDSC_0007.jpgDSC_0008.jpgdoriston trucks.jpg

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
I heard a story years ago that Scadill posted some pics of some very old trucks on a Island..I have a pics. He disclosed there location and a scrap guy came in and took all the trucks..That mistake will never happen again...View attachment 304227View attachment 304228View attachment 304229View attachment 304226
I wasn't meaning to scrap equipment that was left out there that somebody wandered across. I was meaning like that old komatsu and stuff in the other post that are obviously at an old mill site or reload and someone still owns them.

Machines left out in the woods need to stay there as they are melting back into the earth as intended.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator

skadill

Those were referred to as the "Doriston Trucks" on the Sunshine Coast, BC. I never saw them, but if you google that term, the story and photos come up, which gave too much information that led to their demise. Also Eric-"Rusty Grapple" member in his awesome thread 'Alaskan Logging Equipment left to Rust" had people figure out where full yarders were sitting in a rock quarry, and they got stolen by scrappers.The owner was not impressed. So it it just standard plumbing practice here now to enjoy the photos and sort of leave it at that. Todd

Truck Shop

I have been running a serious joke on my Old crawler thread about scraping old equipment,
It can cause some hate and discontent. But I too have photos of trucks that I won't post,
those remain off limits. I traveled allot by motorcycle and carried high powered binoculars &
always a camera.
One such photo {I can tell make/model} is of a 1955 Diamond T 951. I happened upon it
looking through the binoc's on a road that topped a bluff. And along came this pickup.
Can I help you? Oh I just stopped taking a break and looking for old trucks to photo, I see
one over by those trees about a 1/4 mile away looks like a T. And that's going to stay there
ain't for sale it's rotting away anyhow. Oh I don't want to buy I just take photos of old trucks.
Oh well in that case----That's a grave marker--my grandpa, he bought that truck new, one
of the few things he liked, wanted to be buried on the farm where the trees are, so that's
where the truck ended up, dad put it there. Could I take a photo of it? Yeah sure, I'll drive
you down there. Made a deal with him, I never show the photo. Diamond T 951's are rare
only a few left, the way folks are these days someone would take it.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
I remember Eric talking about those yarders that were in the rock pit that disappeared. You've got to have a hell of an operation to go cut up a yarder and haul it off for scrap. Ain't nobody in a Dodge with some map torches doing that

exploring

Heard it ran when parked. But was left behind early 2000s? after they logged this area because it was too heavy for the bridge to support taking it out so it was left behind. Judging from what was written inside same guy ran it for 7 plus years till it was parked.

Attachments

• 20240131_104235.jpg
    20240131_104235.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 58

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
That's too bad as it looks like it was maintained well. Even has nice rubber still.

SamOlund

VERY RARE late skagit donkey. Should be in a museum but it’s long stuck to rot now. Someone tell me about it please!

Attachments

• B2DA0798-CA9F-4543-97B6-1283992EA010.jpeg
    B2DA0798-CA9F-4543-97B6-1283992EA010.jpeg
    752.8 KB · Views: 29
  • AC99743C-F5AB-4284-8C80-49CE4FECEA9B.jpeg
    AC99743C-F5AB-4284-8C80-49CE4FECEA9B.jpeg
    648.1 KB · Views: 30
  • CA5456DC-7274-4BC4-9271-7B52FAF73736.jpeg
    CA5456DC-7274-4BC4-9271-7B52FAF73736.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
  • 0580DEA4-FC06-464B-85F7-48E3EAE7CE45.jpeg
    0580DEA4-FC06-464B-85F7-48E3EAE7CE45.jpeg
    804 KB · Views: 29

exploring

This was absolutely impressive. Found on the second time down the trail. Previous time ran out of daylight and weren't sure if we were in the right area. Could smell old machinery then saw the cables in the trees and the speeder to my left. Didn't realize how big it really was. Thanks to those who gave me areas to start looking and narrowing it down. Definitely not letting anyone know about this..well except the surveyors who have been out marking the area which helped with finding the road location.

Attachments

• 20240203_110218.jpg
    20240203_110218.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 39
  • 20240203_105444.jpg
    20240203_105444.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 39
  • 20240203_105216.jpg
    20240203_105216.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 39
  • 20240203_104945.jpg
    20240203_104945.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 39

Shimmy1

This was absolutely impressive. Found on the second time down the trail. Previous time ran out of daylight and weren't sure if we were in the right area. Could smell old machinery then saw the cables in the trees and the speeder to my left. Didn't realize how big it really was. Thanks to those who gave me areas to start looking and narrowing it down. Definitely not letting anyone know about this..well except the surveyors who have been out marking the area which helped with finding the road location.
I'm sure this question has been asked before, and probably zero details on this particular site are known any more, but what happened that these operations just switched the keys off and never came back? I can't imagine leaving a machine of any kind for nature to absorb back.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
I'm sure this question has been asked before, and probably zero details on this particular site are known any more, but what happened that these operations just switched the keys off and never came back? I can't imagine leaving a machine of any kind for nature to absorb back.
Broke.

When you go broke you're not spending any money to move equipment out of the woods that you don't have another job for or can't pay for.