• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

battery

CaptDave

Occupation
Captain Toronto Fire Services
I have a 1966 Case 530 CK. I can't find specs on the battery, even my local Case dealer wasn't much help. Does any know the minimum cranking amps for the 188 diesel? I figured I would just put in one with the most CC amps that will fit in the box. It's about the size of a car battery.

Thanks
Dave

danielm

Go for weight as well as size. I'd bet any "group 27" would start it just fine.

BTW, A couple of yrs ago I was standing in line at Wal mart automotive dept and a customer had returned one of their premium batterys for warranty exchange. A knowledgeable employee had a device that checked the internal resistance which gave a relative CCA figure. As he checked all the premium batteries on the shelf few were up to snuff. Out of interest I ask him to check the cheap $29 group 27. It beat 'em all.
I always thought it was due to the cheaper batteries being fresh as they sell faster.

Also, Have you ever heard that if you sit a battery directly on concrete it will discharge??? Always sit it on a pallet or wood.

This is an old lesson carried over from when batteries were enclosed in dovetailed wood boxes. The jolt of sitting one down on concrete would break the dovetail joints loose so, it was recommended to sit them on a wood pallet. No harm with todays batteries.

SouthOnBeach

Occupation
jack of all trades
i say just go for the biggest size/weight/CCA that you can fit in. Should have more power then the batteries that were made back in 1966.

CaptDave

Occupation
I think I will make my own tray and use two batteries for prolonged power. Thanks for the input guys.

Elast

Occupation
Heavy Equipment/Forestry Service Manager
530CK came factory with 2 6V batteries. As stated earlier use the largest that will fit. A group 31 HD is a good choice. Get as lage a reserve capacity as you can. This helps with the "staying" power of the battery.

Elast:)

sheepfoot

530ck battery

Took a look at my old spec book, 530ck was not listed, the188d was in alot of machines.The 480/580ck lists 6volt around 650cca/12volt around 580cca. I would build a box and install a high cca 31 if your machine is hard starter or temp issue, there is alot of small 12volt high cca on the market.

CaptDave

Occupation
Just received a repair manual in the mail, 2-6volt. I think I like the idea of 2 -12v instead. Go for the "Tim The Tool Man" more power.

CaptDave

Occupation
It is a 12volt system. Some models are postive ground and some are negative. Years ago they paired two 6Volt, made for a larger cranking capacity. We did this with our firetrucks also, not anymore though.

danielm

Two 'large' 6 volt batteries in series would be better than two 12 volt ones in parallel. Here's my take on why:

When hooked in series the available CCA will be that of each battery (or the smaller if not he same size). Should one of the two start going south it will be the only battery to suffer.
When connecting them in parallel the available CCA is the sum of the two batteries. However, should one battery start going bad both will be discharged. Typically what happens is a build up of crude on the plates internal to the battery. This crude acts as a load placed across the battery. If another battery was connected in parallel, across the terminals, it would also 'see' the small load and would become discharged as well.

There is a circuit that can acually restore batteries by pulsing a very sharp current spike and dislodging the build up. I have a simple schematic if anyone is interested.

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
Unless she's a hard starter or going to see a lot of winter use, I use a large heavy 12 volt car battery. I believe it will fit in your L shaped battery box and can be used other places if you are not happy with it. It's surprising how small a battery will start these engines. Phil:)

danielm

Unless she's a hard starter or going to see a lot of winter use, I use a large heavy 12 volt car battery. I believe it will fit in your L shaped battery box and can be used other places if you are not happy with it. It's surprising how small a battery will start these engines. Phil:)

Phil is right. Any "decent" car battery should start it up just fine.
Make sure your cables, terminals are good and clean.

Crank on...

BTW, anyone else ever welded with batteries? In a pinch once, I series connected three car batteries and arc welded for about an hour before they wouldn't sustain a solid arc.

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
danielM, that's very interesting about welding with car batteries. Is this with stick?? How small? My dad told me once he had heard of the old Letournal/Wabco scraper engine generator, powering welding cables for a field repair. Phil

Legdoc

Capt. I would put a battery with the most CCA available that will fit in the space and clamp down. In my experience as a former auto and Cat mechanic many starter problems can be traced back to overcranking with a shot battery or undersize battery.

Temu

Danielm...I'd like to see that circuit you mentioned...

Two 'large' 6 volt batteries in series would be better than two 12 volt ones in parallel. Here's my take on why:

When hooked in series the available CCA will be that of each battery (or the smaller if not he same size). Should one of the two start going south it will be the only battery to suffer.
When connecting them in parallel the available CCA is the sum of the two batteries. However, should one battery start going bad both will be discharged. Typically what happens is a build up of crude on the plates internal to the battery. This crude acts as a load placed across the battery. If another battery was connected in parallel, across the terminals, it would also 'see' the small load and would become discharged as well.

There is a circuit that can acually restore batteries by pulsing a very sharp current spike and dislodging the build up. I have a simple schematic if anyone is interested.

I'd certainly be game to check that out...have you done it yourself with good results?

CaptDave

Occupation
Well I think I will buy one big 12v. Once I move, the backhoe will be kept in a garage so winter starting won't be a problem. Of course that's once I get the head back on.

mikeypmcg

i also have a 530 ck...

and it has a cheap wal-mart neverstart that works just fine....

on another note isnt that na awsome little machine? man i cant believe the stuff i can do with it, the 3 acre lawn is almost done...