• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

"Back in the Day"

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Cant help but wonder if in fact WFP has not got their fingers in this thread. Lot of wrong things happening here and nothing being done to rectify the situation. Yes it actually smacks of Don DEPENDS

I did not mean to offend anyone by posting Boulder Bills pictures with his captions under them , as I have , I sincerely apologize for it . I have some pictures that the Blk prince has loaned me that I will post . The rest of the pictures I have "Banked" will remain as such , as I have other projects that require my attention for the near future !

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Thanks so much camptramp for you ongoing commitment to document the heroic efforts of a whole generation of men who built these structures.

I for one did not know such flumes had existed and I can only imagine the relative value of the timber must have been greater back then than it is now . . . roughly what period are we looking at here?

Cheers.

dirty4fun

Some great photos of flumes one can only imagine the hours and engineering spent to built them. Thanks for sharing Tramp.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
I don't know any more about "Flumes" than you fellows , but I've heard about them being used . Usually in a situation in the early day's before the modern Logging Truck was perfected , to access area's with valuable stands of timber out to far to reach with skyline yarders and in to steep of country to reach economically by Logging Rail Roads . In the 4th picture it looks like a road of some sorts with logs used to roll logs out on , to drop into the Flume . Could the logs have been dragged to the Flume by Oxen or Horses or even early Caterpillar tractors ? It certainly shows what a determined Logger will do to get Logs to a Sawmill .

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
The last flume built in Idaho was in the early 40s. It ran as I understand it until the late 40s. I believe that most flumes were used in the pine country with short logs 16' or so. Water was, and still is pretty cheap to move logs. Labor and material along with cutting practices today relegates flumes to the picture books.