• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Baby Red

DKinWA

Charter Member
Occupation
Biologist and Contractor
I thought I'd be the first one to break the ice and post a pic of the truck I purchased a little over a year ago. It's a 1998 F-800 with 8.3 cummins, 9 speed fuller and air brakes. The truck is a lot of fun to drive and the short wheel base let's me get into a lot of places the larger trucks can't. I swear this thing has a tighter turn radius than my F-250.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
DK, The picture isn't showing. :(

If it woudn't post becasue of the size or format, maybe one of us Mods can help adjust it. If it didn't attach because you missed something in the attaching process, again, maybe one of us can figure it out, so we can all get a look at your baby! :)

DKinWA

Charter Member
Occupation
Biologist and Contractor
Another test pic

baby red. I think I need a smiley that has it's fingers crossed:D

Attachments

• truckpic.jpg
    truckpic.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,374

DKinWA

Charter Member
Occupation
Biologist and Contractor
Thanks Steve, it's a 1998 F-800, 9 speed fuller, 8.3 cummins turbocharged (230hp) and air brakes. When I bought it last year it had 24K miles on it and hadn't been used much, so it was in really good shape. It's a kick to drive and it has a really short turn radius. A lot of my customers like the truck because it's a lot lighter (no ruts in the lawn) and can put their dirt, bark, etc. closer to where they want it. Here's a pick after I got it lettered.

Attachments

• lettered.jpg
    lettered.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,309

cat320

Charter Member
Very nice truck.It only had 24K miles wow what a find.Did it come they way we see it with the dump ? how much did it run?

DKinWA

Charter Member
Occupation
Biologist and Contractor
There's a pretty lengthy story behind the truck, but I won't bore you with all the details. Essentially the owner and his wife bought it for their son-in-law to join the business in early 1999. Well, as things sometimes work out, he's no longer their son-in-law. The truck sat for almost a year before they decided to sell it, hence the low miles.

There loss was definitely my gain. I paid 30K for it and the owner told me after I bought it that he paid over $60K for the truck and dump box installation. He even painted it red to match his Peterbilt dumptruck. The box is a 10' steel workman and it's one stout dump box. Even after their son-in-law pushed on the tailgate with their 320 cat to get it out of the mud, the box still holds water.

The tare on the truck is just shy of 15,000 lbs, but I rarely pull out of the pit over 30,000 lbs. I'd haul more if I could, but the short box makes it difficult to get enough weight on the front axle. About the only time I get close to the 34,000 is when I've got a backhoe on the trailer.