• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

auto-eject excavator

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
I might have stood up while hanging 10 once or twice. :eek:
These machines need cameras.... not spotters.
It always seems like my spotter is epileptic or something....
I'd rather stand..... spotters make me want to smash things...

Attachments

• P8290770.JPG
    P8290770.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 321
  • IMGP0573.JPG
    IMGP0573.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 324

RollOver Pete

Occupation
More of my least favorite machine....:throwup
:cool:

Attachments

• P8290769.JPG
    P8290769.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 320
  • P8290773.JPG
    P8290773.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 317
  • IMGP0042.JPG
    IMGP0042.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 318

RollOver Pete

Occupation

Attachments

• IMGP0043.JPG
    IMGP0043.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 315
  • IMGP0044.JPG
    IMGP0044.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 318
  • IMGP0045.JPG
    IMGP0045.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 318

72V

Occupation
grader, cat, excavator hack
I bet that's a joy to run around powerlines.

jughead

Occupation
retired
long reach machines

i wouldnt qualify for a lever puller much less an operator in one of those machines.

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
ah, I like how you can't see the caution tape until you have fallen about 20 feet, if you did not get snagged on the rebar first:D

JDOFMEMI

While not condoning the practice, I have seen it done many times, and done it myself a few. In each instance, it would have been more dangerous to have a spotter, as the spotter would have been in more danger than the "overhanging" operator.

I firs seen this done on a deeeeep sewer. It was 32' to 35' cut to flow line. Digging was with a 1100 Hitachi long boom, long stick. This was max depth, and a shield was in use. The operator got the grade very close from the seat, then leaned out to make the final pass in the bottom, getting cut info from the spotter in the trench (only place he could be) This last pass was very slow and in control, and then pipe was lowered by crane, and digging started again for the next set.
This was over 15 years ago, before GPS machine control was even thought of. Now, on a job like this, there is technology to get it done safer, but not every contractor owns it, so people do what they must to get the job done.
I absolutely would not reccomend the practice, but a VERY experienced operator can do it. Another note, I would never do it on a Mini, or any machine much less than 20 ton. The small machines are much easier to jolt and cause a fall.

As Pete said, a camera would be a good choice, and they are getting better and less expensive all the time.

The comment above " My machine does not have a seat belt so I would not be breaking the law." shows me a lack of a lot of things, but mostly of concern for safety in general. Besides, the law does not say "if originally equipped" as it does when applied to motor vehicles. Also, you are describing a mini excavator, and they didn't exist before the seat belt laws.

I will continue to preach seat belt use. I have seen far to many accidents where ther is very little machine damage, and the operator died because he fell out and died from the fall or got crushed. I even put a seat belt on to go a short distance. Tracked machines especially can throw a person from the seat even over a small bump. Even if not thrown from the machine, it can cause head, neck, and back injuries. Stay in the seat with a seat belt!

RollOver Pete

Occupation
As with any piece of equipment, I always do.
This lesson I learned the hard way while running a 450 Hitachi.
When loading bottoms from a stockpile that was way too high in the first place, keep the front window down if you don't wear a seat belt.
It's much easier to stay in the cab that way when you fall off of the stockpile. :my2c

jughead

Occupation
retired
auto-eject

I really wonder if someone here buckles seatbelt?
i will never be an operator but i do like to "play" with heavy equipment. after running over a 14 in. log a few years back and didnt have the bucket low enough i always do. i wound up laying on the hood of my loader almost hugging that hot exhaust. NEVER move it without the belt on. i have my throttle set to return to idle when it is turned loose. would hate to think what would have happened it i wasnt.