• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Auto Crane 5005h

gimpyrobb

Occupation
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hello everyone, I am a newb here so take it easy on me till I learn the ropes!

I am working on refurbishing a 5005h AC. I am having troubles finding info/parts for the Ramsey hoist that spools the cable up. I sent an email to Ramsey and am waiting to hear back from them on maybe getting a tech manual. Till I hear back, I figured I'd do some searching on my own. Does anyone know a good source for AC parts? I found a supplier of bearings and their related components. I also have a local supplier of hydraulic seals.

It seems that the rod for this winch has seized up or might have a bend in it. The AC part number is 360356. It would seem fairly simple to be able to machine one, but if there is one on a shelf, I would be way ahead time wise to purchase. Also, this model is an older one(have not dated it yet) and has the pendant wired to the solenoids. Is it hard to convert these to a removable plug? I collect military trucks for a hobby and have used my share of cannon/amphenol plugs. I think I might try a set of those.

Thanks in advance for any input you guys might have.

Deeretracks

Occupation
Shop Foreman
I have a 8008H on my truck and have always called AC direct for parts or info. They are surprisingly helpful.

gimpyrobb

Occupation
I figured I could always fall back on them, but their prices are crazy! This is the 3rd one I am working on and the largest. I really like the simple designs and good layout of components.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
There's a place in Oklahoma and I think it's called Cherokee equipment or Cherokee truck equipment. They have a store on eBay selling ac parts. Very helpful and prices were fair.

gimpyrobb

Occupation
I ran across the B&B website last night. Very helpful. If I don't hear from Ramsey, they are the first on my list.

BobCatBob

I wish I could help as you've helped me in the S.S. Forum posts many times (Neophyte). I'm a Galion crane guy, but love the AC's.

FSERVICE

I have had several AC cranes, I always call AC direct very helpful people, yes they might be a little high BUT you always have the exact same factory part!!! yes you can put on a disconnect plug to take the pendant off when not in use, if you call AC they have the pigtail already made up for the crane end then you put the pendant end together.. in my IMHO you will be cheaper/faster to just call AC instead of chashing down a part that they will "have on the shelf".. go to AC website they have ALL the manuals on there, with parts breakdowns that can b downloaded!!!

gimpyrobb

Occupation
Thanks Bob, you have done a lot to your truck and it shows! Always happy to help.

Fservice, this crane is for personal use and I can't justify AC's prices for something that I will not use to make me money. I have an Austin Western military crane and have decided its too much crane for what I do. I bought this AC to use in place of my 5ton wrecker(AW crane).

Attachments

• sharonville car show g.jpg
    sharonville car show g.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 434

gimpyrobb

Occupation
I have been in touch with Bob H at AC. He sent me the manual for my crane and informed me the part number I am looking for is 357158. I found the part I need, attached to the hoist at b&b for $2800. Thats out of my league.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums gimpyrobb!:drinkup

gimpyrobb

Occupation
Thanks CM.

Looks like just the bar is $350 from AC. I guess I will have to clean some work space around my mill and make some chips!

gimpyrobb

Occupation
Thanks, AC actually emailed the correct one to me after I sent them the serial number. The 5005h has had MANY revisions, and I'm pretty sure I had found the right one prior to talking with Bob, but now I KNOW I have the right one.

gimpyrobb

Occupation
Well, I have my amphenol plugs, so I can cut the wired remote and make it a quick-connect! I am in the process of removing the boom and elevation cyl to work on the pedestal. I got this crane cheap, cause it was on a truck involved in a roll over. I was going to cut off the sides, have them flattened, and have some new ones made up to weld in place of the originals. After a few phone calls, it seems as if I have found a replacement at a crane yard about an hour away. This will save me a huge amount of time and effort, I can't wait!

Anyhoo, here is a couple of pics, so you know what I am dealing with...

Attachments

• 20141103_161455.jpg
    20141103_161455.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 353
  • 20141103_161515.jpg
    20141103_161515.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 365

BobCatBob

That is a fantastic find.....and to locate a replacement pedestal. I have no idea of the metallurgy, but unlikely just CRS 1018 or the like ......would be $$$ to rebuild yourself. How's the winch motor and brake? Mounting onto the bed of a 923 ?

gimpyrobb

Occupation
No, I have no interest in a 5ton after I sell my wrecker. The 939 series is wonderful to work on with the tilt hood and air brakes(I work as a mechanic for a guy that sells them), but I like my deuce!

With the plates on the side being as rippled as they are, they have put a "hurtin" on the winch hoist rod going all the way through the winch drum. That is why I will have to make another one. It has been cut between the bull gear and the crane. That cut allowed me to pull the winch drum and press out the original rod. After I get a few more things done, I will tap out the pin holding the boom in place and then start working on the pin that holds the elevation cyl. THAT pin has been bent to Hades. I will try to get more pics once I get back over there.

BobCatBob

Wow....that was some rollover. I would love to see the pic's as you come along on the project.

gimpyrobb

Occupation
I could have a lot done so far but, my buddy who's shop I keep it at, has not been in since Monday. Thats 2 days of work I could have done gone. I know this will be a slow process, but every little bit helps! I'm gonna have to get a set of keys from him next time I see him.

I will try to keep the progress pics coming in the best I can!

gimpyrobb

Occupation
Well my buddy is back at the shop and I got some work done! I'm not looking forward to removing the boom lift cyl pin, Ha! Ihave not heard back from the crane company with the pedestal either. I might try calling Friday.

Attachments

• 20141124_171657.jpg
    20141124_171657.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 179
  • 20141124_172633.jpg
    20141124_172633.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 171
  • 20141124_173654.jpg
    20141124_173654.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 165