• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Austin Western Pacer 300

BrianGrenier

Occupation
Various Duties
Dwan: Did you manage to stop the leak on the fitting that leads to your slide?AustinWesternMotorGraderPacerYoke.pngMy questions are on the picture. What happened was I was getting the hang of plowing snow with my old Pacer, had the back end crabbed out...the yoke was already broken...I had the turntable locked, but the ram just gave out, spewing oil and now I am torn down with it. All should be OK, but I want to know if putting the new 'O-rings' in the feed to the slide stopped that leak. That is a major leak on this machine too.

Did the slide ram stay straight?? Mine is bent too, this would be a good time to fix it, rt?

Also,

My yoke is broken on that cast piece (on the pic), as the pin had slid down with only half the yoke fastened and it gave out. It had been welded before and did not work as the pin slid down (again). Maybe I can get the yoke pinned back together, considering welding it may not work.

Brandt

I just broke the same yoke that you broke. Not knowing what happened I kept pulling the lever(s). As a result I bent both rams in the circle. Hope to have it up again in a month or so. I plan on adding an extra gusset or 2 around that yoke.

By the way, that is the FINEST A-W I have seen. About $30K and 30K hours and mine could look like that!!

Last edited:

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Dwan: Did you manage to stop the leak on the fitting that leads to your slide?View attachment 99458My questions are on the picture. What happened was I was getting the hang of plowing snow with my old Pacer, had the back end crabbed out...the yoke was already broken...I had the turntable locked, but the ram just gave out, spewing oil and now I am torn down with it. All should be OK, but I want to know if putting the new 'O-rings' in the feed to the slide stopped that leak. That is a major leak on this machine too.

Did the slide ram stay straight?? Mine is bent too, this would be a good time to fix it, rt?

Also,

My yoke is broken on that cast piece (on the pic), as the pin had slid down with only half the yoke fastened and it gave out. It had been welded before and did not work as the pin slid down (again). Maybe I can get the yoke pinned back together, considering welding it may not work.

Yes it stopped the leak in the side shift if I park it with the ram retracted. But it will still drip about a cup a day if I store it with the ram extended.
As far as welding the yoak, I did not have any luck getting it to hold so I just had to give up and buy a used one, then had to replace the seals as the new one leaked. All is better now. Next is to repack one of the lift rams as it leaks about a tablespoon a day

BrianGrenier

Occupation
Various Duties
I think Dwan is a lucky guy, or just knows his stuff!:)

Dwan, Thanks for coming over to my place and looking at my machine, pointing out zerks and features I didn't know it had, giving me hope that I can get my grader in shape approaching your rig!:notworthy

Magard

I know this thread is old but maybe I can revive for a question. Are these axles a military surplus. Where could a person find a axle shaft and a hub insert that connects the axle to the wheel hub.

Magard

I’m looking to buy this machine but it has this problem. Are parts available.

Attachments

• B214AF66-D046-4F1F-8DFB-51621ADFAD06.png
    B214AF66-D046-4F1F-8DFB-51621ADFAD06.png
    6.2 MB · Views: 20

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Austin Western is the US version of Aveling Barford graders, British built. The main difference was the engines, AB's used Leyland and I'm sure the rest of the mechanicals are the same. A lot of County Councils had them with the 99H ( 4WD, all wheel steer)being the most popular, so if you blokes are looking for parts look for them Downunder - Australia and New Zealand.
I operated a Super 500 for a little while in the early 70's and it was a pig of a thing but in saying that nothing else could match it on earthworks jobs.

Magard

A
Austin Western is the US version of Aveling Barford graders, British built. The main difference was the engines, AB's used Leyland and I'm sure the rest of the mechanicals are the same. A lot of County Councils had them with the 99H ( 4WD, all wheel steer)being the most popular, so if you blokes are looking for parts look for them Downunder - Australia and New Zealand.
I operated a Super 500 for a little while in the early 70's and it was a pig of a thing but in saying that nothing else could match it on earthworks jobs.
So your telling me we imported axles to build a grader in the late 60s from Britain. That’s weird.

Tones

Occupation
A

So your telling me we imported axles to build a grader in the late 60s from Britain. That’s weird.
No. If it's made under licence then it's the same wherever it's made.

Magard

you can read about there history in text. Kinda a interesting read on the back and fourth with Britain and USA.

Tones

Occupation
Back in the day International Harvester, Caterpillar had whole manufacturing plants in Britain as well not like today having components made all around the world then getting a machine with a sticker on it " Proudly Made in the USA".

Magard

I went and looked at it today. It’s a pretty tight machine for its age for sure. I think I’ll find the parts I’m after. There’s a lot of parts machines around. I like the simplicity of the components on the machine. Not a lot of specialty stuff on it. Hydraulic system is all common looking.

BrianGrenier

Occupation
Various Duties
I know this thread is old but maybe I can revive for a question. Are these axles a military surplus. Where could a person find a axle shaft and a hub insert that connects the axle to the wheel hub.
That might be a tall order to find a part like that. It's likely unique to your machine, but I couldn't say for sure. You might find one!

My neighbor can make anything on his CNC lathe. He's the one I head to when I need something custom:)