• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Astec Builds Concrete Plants?

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
Astec says its twin-shaft mixer technology from asphalt batch plants adapted incredibly well to mixing low-slump concrete. Developments from there lead to a continuous-flow, twin-shaft concrete mixer and the ability to produce conventional concrete mixes with less waste.

I'm working on a story about how this technology leader in asphalt production is penetrating the concrete-production market.

Any questions?

Thanks,

Larry

buddy605

Occupation
Engineering tech/ survey
So this will be a big plant version of the reimer ttruck.

Truckin4life

Occupation
Concrete Plant Operator.
Im curious about this as well...
Have any pictures or diagrams?
Also how well would the plant due in high slump situations?

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
The twin-shaft mixer -- basically a pugmill design -- should be best with low-slump concrete. Astec claims that's what customers wanted when they came to them asking for a concrete mixer. This story talks about the Astec mixer's first application in a porous-concrete parking area at Disney, and how it developed into a continuous, volumetric-type mixer.

Attachments

• cex0912_PavingLR.jpg
    cex0912_PavingLR.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 637

Truckin4life

Occupation
Concrete Plant Operator.
Very interesting, the article reads that it can put out between 200-350cy an hour. I am open to new idea, no doubt about it. But i really only see this kind of plant being good for a high slump situation as you have said. I dont see how it could properly mix a low slump mud. That would be my only concern. Would you happen to know or have a way to find out where some of these plants may be set up? I would really love to see how well one worked.

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
Astec does a pretty good job profiling its customers' use of its products. I'd go to this site -- http://astecinc.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=763&Itemid=559 -- which is the home of their concrete products division, and poke around at some of the links. Look at the galleries of photos and video to see if they have some customer profiles.

There are some customer profiles here: http://astecinc.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=128&Itemid=587

You might also flip through the recent volumes of Astec's Hot-Mix magazine at http://www.hotmixmag.com/. Lots of customer profiles there, but I'm not sure if they're covering the concrete side in that publication.

Or just contact Jim Johnson, Director of Sales for the Astec Concrete Products Group. His email address, office and cell numbers are right there at the top of the page.

I'd be much obliged if you would mention to him that you heard about Astec Concrete Products from Larry Stewart at Construction Equipment magazine (we all got to make a living!).

Hope this helps,

Larry

Truckin4life

Occupation
Concrete Plant Operator.
Will do, i will wait a few hours to call him, but i am intruiged about this, more on a perosnal level than anything. My current company isn't big enough yet to justify this, but it could get some attention from upper managment if we continue to grow at the rate we currently are.

Truckin4life

Occupation
Concrete Plant Operator.
Yes, i am VERY thankfull that i have not only a job, but a good one.
At the end of december the company went out and purchased a mobile conoco plant.
The one off the Lo-Pro line. Were still setting it up, due to weather conditions, but i feel the company is doing good if they can go and drop the money on a brand new conoco. They bought the plant i run now about a year and a half ago now. Along with a brand new paving spread.

Truckin4life

Occupation
Concrete Plant Operator.
Thats the ag section of it, but yes same plant, your missing the silo, the rest of the main belt the drum and the structures holding up the drum and silo.