• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anyone using Bair Products undercarriage parts?

Tags

I have a Cat 287B that has 1700hrs on it and I'm pretty sure most of the seals on the bogies and idlers have failed and have allowed the gear oil to run out of all of em'. I am still running the original tracks but have replaced the seals in a couple of the bogie and idler wheels about 700 hrs ago. That was not a fun job, needless to say I think I am just going to replace the entire assemblies this time around and was wondering if anyone is running the new Bair style bogie and idler assemblies or if I should stick with OEM gear?

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
I can't answer your question as to having them since i run the CTL machine not a MTL.

This is my thought tho, if i did own your machine i would go the Bair route.Doing a complete track group change over.The same concept works good on the CTL machine metal rollers and idlers to rubber track contact.

Can't answer the bearing issue,but thought what i read about Bair products that they had improved bearing(cones) helping your issues.Just give Bair a call and they could help answer some of your question ,if no one here can.

On my CTL machine i got around 2100 hour on my first set of tracks.I just put on the new set of tracks did not have too change the steel rollers or idlers just the tracks.So fo me my saving was huges.No idler or roller failures.Going on 3000 hour and still none.

With that said i run run my machine different then most because of the type of work i do,which is dirt work and using in lots of muddy condition ,except for this last summer.Lower speeds ,less wear same concept as steel tracks on dozers.

Doesn't have to be snail speed ,but any change yo don't need the speed reduce it.Speed and tracks filled with mud kill.When you machine has to labor because of compacted mud in the tracks.Your increasing wear.Keep them as clean as possible.

I guess what i'm saying.If you go with the all metal boggies and idlers you would have less chunky of the rubber rollers and idlers.If taking care of should outlast oem products 2 to 1.

Just my thoughts, couldn't answer your question,that is my insight from my situration.Give Bair a call if you don't get more info.The price might be the deciding factor in the end tho!!!! Good luck.

JustForFun

Be careful comparing the Bair rollers to a CTL's rollers.
One is aluminum and the other is steel.
When I bought new front and rear rollers for my 247B last year, the guy I spoke with (sells both types) said that if I drive in gravel/rock alot I should stick with the rubber rollers. Said he has heard of people having chipping problems with the aluminum when they're run in gravel. Then the rollers can tear up the inside of the track. I decided to stick with the rubber ones, so I don't have any first hand experience just his recommendation.
All I can say is I am glad my 247 has half as many rollers as your 287.

Tags

Thank you both for your replies. I am the only person that operates my machine, that being the main reason the tracks have lasted so long. I dont make counter rotation turns, try to spin the tracks as little as possible, and it is mostly run on topsoil with the occasional bucketing of crushed stone. I've never really had a problem with the rubber wheels, my problem is with the actual bogie/idler assemblies leaking and now needing to be replaced. I think the Bair assemblies are a little less expensive than OEM replacements but I'm not sure they are worth the minimal savings. Amen to Mark with the 247 not having as many axels, i have 10 bogies and 4 idlers...about 5g's to replace just the assemblies with no wheels or labor....Yippppeeeee

still learn'n

We have 297C that we put bair bogies and cat steel idlers on it also we put bair's style of tensioners on it but now it has cat style tensioners back on it! The bair bogies have not had any problems the tensioners are tightened with grease like dozers are and the seals just blew in them and they sent a new one and it just blew to so put cat ones back on it! Jerry

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
I put Bair rear idlers across the back of my 257b

Too soon to tell if they are any better.

Having the grease nipple in the hub can't hurt. I only got 500 hrs out of the OE idlers

Good luck

Ken

Tags

Thanks Watglen, good read. In my opinion the MTLs are not a good "multioperator" machine...

JustForFun

Actually I found that the Bairs are slightly more expensive.
Who are you buying the parts from?
I found that the ASV dealers were cheaper than CAT (same parts).
I think this is the company I called;
http://www.trackloaderparts.net/Caterpillar-2.aspx
I think they're an ASV dealer in the southwest somewhere. (shipping costs ended up being less than the sales tax I saved)
Also, their website shows 2 axle options available for your machine.

lem-x

Has anyone had Bair undercarriage fail prematurely? I replaced OEM with Bair on a Cat 287B
and at 250 hrs. of use the bottom roll bearings were shot. I contacted Bair and of course out of
warranty. But they would sell us rebuild kits for 1200.00. Purchased kits and hoping it lasts longer than 250 hrs. Upon rebuild it was apparent that it was a manufacturing mess up as there were no
spacers on the original setup to preload the bearings. Must have been manufactured on a Friday.
I could not recommend their products stick with OEM.

Philip S King

Occupation
GC, BC, Mechanical , Electrical, Utilities
On my 287B, I replaced the front idler with Bair axle assembly and aluminum allow wheels. The axle assembly is grease-able and the web site states the seals purge grease maintaining positive pressure to keep moisture out. When I greased the axle, the outside seal purged but not the inside. So I don't think the moisture will stay out. Also, I worry that the aluminum alloy idler wheels will transfer greater shock into my machine, because the OEM plastic and rubber wheels absorb more impact energy. I also replaced the front bogie wheels with Blair's. Bairs wheels were thinner than the OEM wheels. Because of this, the bolt plates will not clap tight to the wheels. I fear the resulting gap will collect mud and foster corrosion. I also purchased sprocket rollers, bolts and nuts from bair. The 13 in . bolts they sold me are only 12 and 3/4 long. They were not long enough to engage the nylon on the nylon locking nuts and the bolts were not galvanized. After installing Bairs bolts and noticing the are too short, I reinstalled the galvanized OEM bolts. I called bair to let them know the bolts were short and they said something like this; we ship these out every day, never complaint, we even supply cat. I offered to sent them pictures of their bolt installed next to OEM so they could see. The Lady simply ignored me and stated their bolts are 13" . I also offered to send her a picture of her 12 3/4 bolts next to my measuring tape, again, not interested . they supply cat and nobody ever complains. That conversation made me feel like a fool for buying from bair.