• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anyone headed to Haiti?

M.E.R.

Occupation
Equipment painter
I for one am willing to go, so if anyone hears of anything I'm def. interested.

td25c

Dont Know if hurricane katrina is a good comparision to the earth quake in Haiti?The country off Haiti had alot of trouble to start with ,then the earth quake hit.Hope we never have a situation like Haiti in the U.S.If that ever happens I'd say at least 1/3 of the countrys listed on the wiki page offering help would turn against the US & maybe attack at that time.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
I wouldnt be able to afford to go down there and help. I am still waiting on money owed from Katrina. I learned my lesson on helping people out.

Your not alone.I read where lots of company's never got paid.Some were O/O

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
The new world order has again found a sneaky way to off a lot of poor people.

wow, you probably want to confine conspiracy theories to the off topic section. that way the moderators know where to look for them.:eek:

DoosanFan

Occupation
Forester
South Africa has just dispatched, according to the news "a crew of doctors and engineers, with 2.5 million Rands worth of equipment, to Haiti". R2.5 million will probably get you about 5 backhoe loaders. What do you think the 'equipment' is?

gr79

Being helped on an international level, language barriers have to be making logistics there very difficult. How would one find who's in control once there?

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
Being helped on an international level, language barriers have to be making logistics there very difficult. How would one find who's in control once there?

Just ask any Government Official he or she will tell you.:D

mtb345

Occupation
heavey equipment operator
work in haiti ? are you kidding ive seen how we fix things look at new orleans and gavlenston ill take my chances in this economy

ddigger

Occupation
contractor,owner operater
After being involved in the recovery efforts and then the demolition and clean up on the Cypress structure (double decker bridge) that colapsed during the
loma Prieta earthquake in Oakland Calif in 1989. I cant even begin to amagine the magnatude of what they are having to deal with. My thoughts and prayers go out to all involed.

bjb

Occupation
farming
" Helping people out"

I wouldnt be able to afford to go down there and help. I am still waiting on money owed from Katrina. I learned my lesson on helping people out.

The whole idea about helping people out is doing it out of the goodness of your heart.. That's like your house burning down and your next door neighbour helping you get your family out and helps you salvage as much stuff as he can and then giving you a bill the next day for $ 7000.00 including Hazardous work Pay... If you don't have COMPASSION don't go.. Compassion is what they need there right now.. People that are willing to sacrifice their time to help a country out that is completely destroyed. Hopefully Haiti will be released from their Governments control now that they are being forced to let other countries in. Not saying the Quake was a good thing but hopefully some can come out of it.. Point being if your going to help and you do get paid consider that a bonus!!!

bjb

Occupation
farming
I didn't write this to offend anyone... Just something to think about..I am considering going I just don't know when the best time is?? Now when there is lots of help or in a few months when it is being forgotten...

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Let's try not to get any more political than the above, please.

On the topic, you couldn't print enough money to pay me to go there to work, even on the best day the country ever had, but if I were independently wealthy, and could thus afford to take the time, I'd consider going there as a volunteer. (Luckily, I don't have that option...)

KMB83

Occupation
farmer
Your not alone.I read where lots of company's never got paid.Some were O/O

I've heard the same.

A storm cleanup contractor from our town supposedly is owed +2mil dollars from Katrina.

They paid their employees, bought the fuel, fixed the equipment and are still waiting on payment. 3+ years later.

i doubt the IRS would tolerate me paying my dues when i feel like it.

Moral of the story is if you are heading to Haiti to work contracts for uncle sam, i'd get in writing with interest the pay schedule.