• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anyone from washington?

Aliate

I recently moved here from NY and Im just trying to get an idea of what the market for asphalt paving is over here as compared to the east coast....I notice everyone has concrete driveways here. In short Im considering starting a business in a few years. Thanks everyone!

lonkinggroup

concrete machinery is also very prosperous in China.In my opinion, I think you should think twice before you make a decision.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
You talking state or DC?

It's a big state.

You will find plenty of asphalt and concrete driveways and lots of competition for either material you want to work in. Then is no shortage of big contractors looking for work. You will also find that homeowners and associations will give the same types of payment problems you get from big businesses.

There are some used paving machines available in Western Washington if you are interested.

Aliate

Yeah I was talking washington state, the seattle area. I figure the competition is the same as any other densely populated area...there's always room for someone willing to pick up the small jobs that nobody wants. Im not too concerned with that, but I guess I was just asking if anyone had any good tips doing business on the west coast, Ive noticed trucking seems to be a major pita over here, with all the axles! Looks expensive to truck anything around here....

cheshirecat

Have had two different people stopping by the house knocking on the door looking to see if I needed any asphalt work done. So I'm guessing business is tough out there right now.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've never heard that trucking was tuff in this state. They go by federal bridge law for axle spacings and GVWs. Hauling local i thought was always pretty simple. Get your truck licensed and insured and go to work.

As far as asphalt contractors go, there are already plenty of them hurting. Maybe wait a couple of years and they was thin out.