• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anybody want to see Payhaulers!?

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Heres some pics!

Attachments

• work 002.jpg
    work 002.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 3,542
  • scan0092.jpg
    scan0092.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 3,535
  • scan0098.jpg
    scan0098.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 3,600
  • scan0102.jpg
    scan0102.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 3,529

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Heres some more.

Attachments

• older 2 003.jpg
    older 2 003.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 3,490
  • older 2 141.jpg
    older 2 141.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 3,767

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Mabey one more!

Attachments

• telluride 009.jpg
    telluride 009.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 3,494
  • telluride 005.jpg
    telluride 005.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 3,495

fiat41b

payhaulers

Those are my favorite trucks ever I used one 1996 350c for stripping operation it had the 1710 cummings would have bought it but I got beaten on the next go around at the quarry they alway had one at the coal mine where my dad worked and Peabody mine #10 where my grandpa worked awsom truck.

alco

Oh great, and my nightmares were finaly going away....so much for that

Brian

Hjolli

If I remember correctly (from some brochures I have seen)
these trucks have 4 wheel drive. Must make them superior in certain conditions.

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
If I remember correctly (from some brochures I have seen)
these trucks have 4 wheel drive. Must make them superior in certain conditions.
Yeah they are 4 wheel drive, but only when the trannys in 1st or reverse. You have to flip a switch in the cab to activate it. When the driver upshifts, it unlocks the diffs and goes back into two wheel drive.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
JTL, you forget how the rear axles would snap the drive lines and finals when they were worked in four wheel drive. As ALCO says, the nightmares were almost gone!

Hjolli. a 773B with the traction control system would go anywhere these would go and do it for thousands of hours and whole lot less money. If you wanted ten Haulpaks hauling on a job, you better start with fifteen.

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
JTL, you forget how the rear axles would snap the drive lines and finals when they were worked in four wheel drive. As ALCO says, the nightmares were almost gone!

Hjolli. a 773B with the traction control system would go anywhere these would go and do it for thousands of hours and whole lot less money. If you wanted ten Haulpaks hauling on a job, you better start with fifteen.

John C, you are right! Although we havent too many finals fail, I cant recall how many drive lines we have replaced over the years. I've seen drive lines break running down the haul road! They have a knack at tearing out transmission and hydralic lines when they go.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, they arent a bad truck, but they arent a good truck.
On a job where we are running 4 Payhaulers, we always have at least 2 sitting on the ready line.
I get a huge kick when we call the hall for Payhauler drivers, and no body knows what they are! I dont how many times a person will come out and work one day, and not be there the next! They are not a operator friendly machine!
Jason

sluggo

Occupation
Equip. Operater
They rode really good,thats about all I liked about em

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Excavating Contractor & Operator
I had almost forgot about the Pay Haulers. I have worked on the 350 which is the same as 180 and also the 140 and 65 that's like 40 years ago. As I recall 180, 140 & 350 loaded they had about the same weight front & rear tires. Nice pictures, thanks.

renaud

What's the red and white flag for on the 2 last pictures??
I saw that once, in North Dakota on a job site and wonder what these flags are for ever since.
Thanks for any info.
Max.

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
What's the red and white flag for on the 2 last pictures??
I saw that once, in North Dakota on a job site and wonder what these flags are for ever since.
Thanks for any info.
Max.

I would say they're working around a airfield, that's where I've seen those flags used before.

JDOFMEMI

Yep, the red and white checkered flags are FAA spec and required on all equipment operating on an airport in the areas on or near the runway.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I only got to work on some of these once years ago. The company I work for bought out another quarry near us that had 3 or 4 of these. My only job was to help remove the boxes for shipping them to another plant, I believe somewhere in Penn. I did here once that the plant that got them did like them for stripping. Not sure if they are still in service anywhere.