• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

anybody parting out a 975 bobcat?

jason975

Occupation
heavy equipment/ truck mechanic
I'm in need of a left side reduction gearcase for a 975 with brakes (s/n 12001 and up) If anyone has one or knows of one please hook me up, I've tried a buttload of salvage yards to no avail and bcat wants an arm and a leg for the new gears.

INDREM

Occupation
Mechanic
Machinerytrader.com > find parts & attachments > bobcat > 975
Looks like Cook equipment shows having one. Sometimes I have luck with these guys. This is going to be a difficult part to find.

jason975

Occupation
already barked up that tree, it shows they have one, but i e-mailed them and they actually dont, i'm wondering if a box off a 970 or 974 will work

Reel hip

Occupation
owner operator bobcat"s and dump truck"s
Sorry not too sure. I had mine open years ago. I thought they were pretty much the same with the exception being in the motor. Nice machine though worth getting it back to work.

FNick

Think you're gonna have to call your dealer, which is too bad cause they'll probably charge a lot for a simple replacement.

jason975

Occupation
well got the box all apart, the big gears ok, the input shaft was 837, and found a used reduction gear for 825, much better than bobcat can do. Goes to show you a machine from '81, given up on and dubbed hopeless scrap can be resurrected from the dead for cheap. Machine was free and i got about 2500 bucks invested and its gunna work just fine. Thanks for the help everyone

Reel hip

Occupation
Great job on the machine. Those 900's were work horses.I had 2 974's and a 980. I could move alot of dirt with them and they were built heavy. I later got a 963 and used it with the hoe, (811) same one I used on my 863. It had tons more hp but,just did,nt seem to run like my 974's did.

MRRPM

Yes, the 970, 974, 975, 980, and 1080's are essentially the same machine.
The 970's came with a Continental gas engine, 974, 975, 980, and 1080's came with a Perkins diesel, I think.
The 1080's were feller bunchers, and had planets in the wheel hubs.
I'm going from memory, correct me if I'm wrong on some points.

jason975

Occupation
my 975 has an 82hp Deere 4276d, I'm thinking of converting it to a 4276t, just needs 2 deg. more advance, and a little more number 2, and a half decent turbo. they make 140 hp.

Last edited:

MRRPM

my 975 has an 82hp Deere 4276d, I'm thinking of converting it to a 4276t, just needs 2 deg. more advance, and a little more number 2, and a half decent turbo. they make 140 hp.

Yes! I forgot about the Deere motored machines! It's been 20yrs.

Reel hip

Occupation
Yes, the 970, 974, 975, 980, and 1080's are essentially the same machine.
The 970's came with a Continental gas engine, 974, 975, 980, and 1080's came with a Perkins diesel, I think.
The 1080's were feller bunchers, and had planets in the wheel hubs.
I'm going from memory, correct me if I'm wrong on some points.

Yes great machines!!!! My 974's and 980 had the Perkins motor. By the way the 980 was planetary drive. Anybody ever run the 943? I thought that one was a POS

MRRPM

943's were ok, I had one, big & slow, slow as a 970 series, but not as strong. Both the 970 series, and the 943's had servo driven hydrostats. I hated those, they had like a delayed reaction in the steering, you could move the control levers, a second later they would move. It was supposed to be like power steering, but I am no fan. The 963 machines were better, never had one, but they were supposed to have straight steering controls. The 963 had a standard quick attach, unlike the 943, which was a family of it's own. The 970 series also had a quick attach of their own, those that had one.

Reel hip

Occupation
Glad you mentioned the bobtach system. I forgot that. When I bought my 963 all my other buckets for the older machines didn't fit the new machine, so another tooth and smooth was needed . A plus was the forks and hoe and breaker were interchangeable with my 863 though.