• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

anybody know much about these hidden gems??

td25c

Throttling back is probably what saved it from something far more serious, don't you think..?

I agree Nige . The engine was at 750 rpm. Just wish I Had shut it completely down before it came apart . My fault . From a mechanics standpoint I was trying to figure out why it was missing then buy the time the pecking noise started it was to late. All happened pretty quick. I think a wrist pin retainer came loose then got in the intake ports of the sleeve is what happened . This 8-V-71 uses the thin stamped steel wrist pin retainers where you just drive them in . No snap ring or groove . They also seal the oil in the wrist pin boss.

Yeah stinkeycat , Its amazing all the different combinations the Military had for the Detroit's on land and at sea.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Last summer directly in front of me in our local 4th of July parade there was a newer, sand camoed, six wheel drive, National Guard truck that through out the parade sounded like it had a 2 stroke Detroit in it. I asked the driver about it and he told me it was a "modernized" high HP version of a 6-71 that would run on near any crap kind of fuel. He alluded to 500 HP. I'm not sure how much he was BS'n me on HP but it was a Screamming Jimmy. Anyone got any knowledge of these?

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Funny thing with this Detroit thread. I got a call this morning to thaw the air on a dumptruck. Turned out to be an early 70s ford Louisville with a 6-71 engine. And... a 16 spd spicer trans. Thing was UUgly but ran like a watch. And I bet it would pass a DOT check, no problem. I took the compressor discharge line off, dumped in some airbrake anti-freeze and had her criusing in 20 minutes.

BSAA65LB

Occupation
Retired!
While the rest of us can't have 2 stroke Detroit's, the US military is still getting brand new engines! :eek: I know 4-71's are still being built, maybe 6-71's as well. I suspect some other configurations as well. The DDC people don't like to discuss the subject.........:Banghead

Seems easy to fix and tolerant of assorted fuel quality is important to the military......

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I believe that the big 5 axle Oshkosh? military rigs are running 450 HP 8V92s in them. The military must be EPA exempt. Lol.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
While the rest of us can't have 2 stroke Detroit's, the US military is still getting brand new engines! :eek: I know 4-71's are still being built, maybe 6-71's as well. I suspect some other configurations as well. The DDC people don't like to discuss the subject.........:Banghead

Seems easy to fix and tolerant of assorted fuel quality is important to the military......

Don't forget simpler parts inventory as many components are interchangeable for the different model engines.

fsmech

Occupation
field service mechanic
Some great Old stories been put up, seems those were the day's! Maybe an administrator would like to change the thread title to something more closer to what it has become? Another question to those with experience, I have heard a lot of saying that these engines needed to be flogged hard to get the best out of them, how did engines set up to run a constant speed cope? Eg generators were it will live its life at 1500 or 1800 rpm depending what hertz. Still remember the sound of 16v149 in wabco 630s screaming around, seemed to all disappear around 2009/2010 from sites

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . fsmech. I believe it mainly a function of load.

If they were working hard on a gen set application in my experience they went pretty well. They were fairly common as auxiliary's in prawn trawlers. One boat I worked on had a 12v71 main and two 6-71 gen sets . . . when they were all at full cry snapping down a big hit of bananas down there in that engine room was pretty noisy place.

On the other hand one of the companies put in a 6-71 to run their shore base. It was way oversized and while I don't recall it gave much "trouble" it slobbered something shameful and the leanto it ran in was a dripping oily mess.

Cheers.

Last edited:

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
I have a 4-53 in my Hein Werner Excavator and it runs perfect! It doesn't even leak very much oil, and starts without any starting fluid when it gets above about 10 degrees C outside... The 4-53 I had in my old Bantam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ioe8Zle-WOk) leaked a bit more and smoked a tad when it ran and needed starting fluid even when it was hot, but it ran and ran and ran until the day I sold it... I always planned on doing a rebuild on it but never got around to it... I just love these engines, sure wish we could still buy them new...

dcoot

My father worked on these during wwII in landing craft and as generators on larger ships. He said that Grey Marine originally designed the engine and then GM (Detroit) bought them.
I worked as a truck mechanic for a few years after I got out of school and had quite a few apart. The 8v71's were the hot set up then.

mitch504

Grey Marine bought engines from General Motors and marinized them. I don't know who came up with the original design, it could have been like the Cummins B, Case designed it and made a deal with Cummins to make it and sell it.

agibson396

They're fantastic, versatile old engines! Several of our cranes ran them in uppers & lowers. Just remember to wipe the oil up from under your keyboard after you finish reading this thread... :)

oldtom

Occupation
diesel equipment maintenancesuperviser
Scrud Puller they recond gimmeys where loud never herd one of the Nissan was a block in Brisbane in the ut then in the old wobbly cranes hear them for days befor torn up