• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Another bridge bites the dust

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
If you do everything right your boss or anyone else has no leverage on you, have a slight disaster they get out the pry bar and go to work on you. And people like having leverage on others.
Problem is too many places if you don't do what boss says they say they will hire someone else to do your job.

One thing that ticked off many guys where I worked was when they would say our people were not qualified to do something and then they hired an outside crew to come in who had no safety training and let them work without following the rules our own people would get wrote up for not following!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Similar at the Nuke KS, contractors would show up during Refuels, most would honor the company guidelines but safety would be miraculously absent around their work sites and hovering on the plant employees.

Truck Shop

Problem is too many places if you don't do what boss says they say they will hire someone else to do your job.

The type of leverage i'm talking about is the boss/owner likes people who are in debt, pay crap wages
knowing that person is going be there everyday. And some are starting to figure out some workers are
not replaceable because they will have to hire two to do the same job.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Help wanted signs are out all over the Pugetopolis. Most all those signs though are for grunt work and hard manual labor. Tradesman can probably pick anyplace they want to work. Most employers have dropped the attitude and are trying to "you are part of our family" crap. I would hate to have to try to boss a crew. Here is a little bit of useful information. My video channel was put together as a training aid for people in the business. Ten percent of views are for people 18 -24 years old. Twenty seven percent are from 35 - 44 year old. and Sixty three percent are 25 - 34 years old. There is a whole generation of people 44 to 55 years old completely absent. To me, that represents the skilled tradesman area. Maybe they don't need the info or don't have the skills to access it. Or maybe our society just skipped a generation of people for training. What do you think?

Truck Shop

Yeah-you are part of our family/or a valuable team member-crap is right John. I would change that to 44 to 62, and most of those have been able to settle themselves out in a job
that's steady. Most anyone from 40 down to 24 are job jumpers. I wouldn't include ages 18 to 24 because most are still trying to figure out how to open a beer can or bottle without
using any energy. As far a the term tradesman goes that's a term you and I use and it's old school. The Term tech now that's a term that's way over used. A fancy term that's been
applied to every job there is and still it defines no skill. Used to make people think they are more important at work with a low pay job.

A tradesman covers the old school-cabinet builders, stem fitters, high steel, tool and die machinist, Mechanic-auto-truck-tractor-heavy. You were in the trade and stuck with it.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Them darn metal-eating chipmunks strike again ..........:D

The type of leverage i'm talking about is the boss/owner likes people who are in debt, pay crap wages
knowing that person is going be there everyday. And some are starting to figure out some workers are
not replaceable because they will have to hire two to do the same job.

Remember going back to that last job place before going nuke, had been gone for almost nine months, needed a seven way plug and some twenty feet of 7 cord. Guy behind the counter overwhelmed(Not a old Hand) seemed after I left there was a flurry of new hires, six to be exact and the day foreskin that had to take my place got angry as he as I could NOT manage to get 38 hours of chargeable hours up while running the shop and the owner asked if he was padding his free time. He quit in three weeks time from that butt chewing to open his own body shop. Of the three mechanics I managed one remained and NOT as a foreskin, wanted NOTHING to do with that politics game. Three had been hired on the floor and three had been hired as working foreman to which number three was about done(in less than three months).
I knew my customers, knew the equipment, could write tickets in my sleep as they explained what the machines were doing, always managed to have them back on the road in no more than 24 hours for general repairs, less than a week for some serious stuff. Most had stopped using the garage within six months of my leaving as could not get decent repairs in decent time for decent expenses. One I know to this day still complains Harold(the Owner) charged him $28.47 to replace a tail light bulb that HE Put in, never could figure why so much, would take me at most 10 minutes including pulling the bulb, would tell them five bucks and throw the cash in the cash drawer with a Cash receipt for bulb and .1 hr charge, always good to the customers where they always returned for larger jobs.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Yeah-you are part of our family/or a valuable team member-crap is right John. I would change that to 44 to 62, and most of those have been able to settle themselves out in a job
that's steady. Most anyone from 40 down to 24 are job jumpers. I wouldn't include ages 18 to 24 because most are still trying to figure out how to open a beer can or bottle without
using any energy. As far a the term tradesman goes that's a term you and I use and it's old school. The Term tech now that's a term that's way over used. A fancy term that's been
applied to every job there is and still it defines no skill. Used to make people think they are more important at work with a low pay job.

A tradesman covers the old school-cabinet builders, stem fitters, high steel, tool and die machinist, Mechanic-auto-truck-tractor-heavy. You were in the trade and stuck with it.

At the Nuke I hired/transferred as a "Utility Worker" basic premise Janitor and toilet cleaner, moved up to "Plant Helper" where could clean the toilets in the plant buildings not just the office structures and build scaffold. Then took a bid for Plant Equipment Operator as had passed the required level of tests to take that bid. Training Sucks for 16 months(as I completed my Qualification Cards) of a 18 month to two year(basis by the oversight enforcers) crash course on how NOT to antagonize a Nuclear Steam Plant. Was called a EO for years then to get the raise for being Tradesmen in our skill they Renamed the position as Operations Technician, actually got us next to nothing $$$ but more scrutiny and less ability to perform our jobs.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I heard the last boss I had at the quarry had guys stop by and be looking for, well I say a paycheck as they sure didn't want a job! He would take them on a "tour" of the quarry pointing things out they would say "No thanks!" and leave. And this was a fairly "new" plant as 99.9% of it was built since 1968. I would have loved to see their faces if they could have see the old plant in the next town over where dad started and I spent a year working in 1969! That place I think was in operation at least as early as the 1920's. Often wish I could have had a video camera to document that place.

Anyone familiar with bucket lines? Try shoveling spillage into a bucket line(elevator) with 30 inch wide buckets shooting past one every second or less, Oh and there was a short wall about 3 feet away from those buckets whizzing by you. And that was just the largest of the three at the bottom of that mill you had to keep clean! One good thing about that job was almost never had anyone come and bother you and there was an old shed under there where they stored spare V-belts you could hide in as long as the spillage piles weren't too big. Actually kept busy sorting out and winding up the belts for something to do at times!

Had to do some digging but found a picture in an old book of mine of a small bucket elevator:
bucket elevator01.jpg
Just picture that with 30 inch wide buckets zipping past you as you shoveled spillage in to those buckets, that looks like the small one just to the left of the 30 inch one so that added a bit more fun to the job! Worst time was when the 30 inch line stalled and the back-stop on it also failed so three stories of buckets can back down and left the stone for us to shovel by hand once it was running again. Skid-steers this was before anyone really knew what those were. Smallest thing they had was a 966B and that would hardly reach any of that stone.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The small coal mine I worked at had multiple bucket lines and a two or three flight conveyors. First job anyone did there was the picking table shoving rock into a chute. Large chunks of coal then went into a roll crusher and came out to a flight conveyor. Big rocks would come out of the feed hopper belt and fall onto the picking table where two men had to muscle them to the side where the rock chute was. Sometimes a real big one got stuck in the mouth of the feed hopper and you would have to bar it out and try to push it off the belt and onto the ground underneath. Most people had to be pretty hungry for a job to want to work there.

crane operator

This was in october of 2018. 10 ton weight limit on this old bridge, that's just south of me a ways in arkansas. Fully loaded tour bus? I'm going to guess somewhere between 30-40,000lbs. 55 people x 200lbs plus empty chassis of 20-30,000? plus luggage?

There were actually two buses and they both crossed.