• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

American Dragline Identification Help!

melbo

Thanks! Yes, it's in great shape, having been restored/rehabbed and then used lightly for building an open-truss barn and then parked. She starts right up with a good battery, little smoke, the 3-71 GMC sounds great. The problem I'm facing is the controls- some seem stiff beyond reason but maybe this is simply because I'm not pushing the right levers or foot pedals in the right order? I have found the boom cable drum lock so I know I won't drop the boom accidentally- that's my biggest fear! We are trying to check the operation and do a video for selling. It also has the digger shovels a push and a pull style all in excellent shape.

melbo

Old thread I know but wondered if you had success with sourcing a manual? We've got the same model crane- a 1957 375 BC.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
Terex bought out American Hoist and Derrick Co., so they might be a source for manuals. Hope this helps.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
FYI: The "GS" in the serial number of those old American machines, stands for "Gopher Shovel". At least that is what a customer service guy at the American Hoist and Derrick factory told me one time.
We has an American 997 dragline at a sand plant I managed. It had a screaming Detroit 6-110 in it. Boy, that machine could move some dirt in an 8 hour day with a good operator.
There should be manuals and data around somewhere for that rig, as American sold a lot of machines over the years.

melbo

Thanks for the reply- I think you're right some others have said the same and I'm awaiting a response from Terex.

melbo

Thank you, I have emailed them. I appreciate the help. We'll let the users here know when/if we sell.

melbo

Thanks for the reply- I have emailed Terex, we'll see what they have. We're interested in selling the crane and will be announcing it here, once we have it running.