• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Almost time to be a civilian again!

Soldati06

Occupation
U.S Army Heavy Equipment Operator
Hey guys, its been a while since i've asked a question so i figured i'd ask one! haha, a while back i wrote a thread asking about the Local 3 operators Union in Northern California, i joined the Army as a heavy equipment operator, well ive completed 3 years and 2 months so far.. 10 months until im out! Im deployed right now and getting ALOT of stick time, i have recieved awards, coins, etc for my Grading work, but i know in the civilian world its a lot more strict about how high or low the cut or fill should be, i was just curious if maybe someone could fill me in if i was to get into the Union i want would they train me to get me on my feet as a civilian again, or am i just suppose to jump in the seat and pick it up as i go!? another question is should i start trying to apply now that i have 10 months until i can work as a civilian!? last question haha my Platoon Sgt is amazing on cranes, he told me he believes if you can operate the grader good then you can operate anything so he has been showing me how to rock the crane.. its only a 40ton crane and i've only been able to put a D7 dozer onto a M870 trailer so far, but im picking it up rather fast. just curious if that was something i wanted to get into, would i apply for cranes or heavy equipment.. im sorry i don't know how any of this works outside of the Army.. haha well any information will gladly be appreciated!! Thank you all!

Soldati06

Occupation
U.S Army Heavy Equipment Operator
Does anybody have any kinda advice or information so i can be better prepared tranistioning from the Army!? doesn't matter where you from.. haha just sooo curious and excited to start! Thanks

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
You will experience, that its very close to what you do and operate in the Army...(except for the west and rifle)
And that many firms, will apreciate that you have learned how to maintain the equipment, instead of abusing it.
And of course you are fit, and within good health, as oposed to many others...

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
i have found that the union actually favors someone with your skill set.
best of luck.

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
Our union has a helmets to hardhats program. http://helmetstohardhats.org/ I know a few guys I work with have used that program. I am sure you'll have to go thru an apprenticeship. Which isn't that big of a deal, I went thru it. I would be calling and applying now. Don't be afraid to talk to some contractors also.

Last edited: