• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Allis Chalmers TL series

grandpa

They also made a TL 10,, I owned one back in the sixty's... with a bucket full of wet road base, the thing would fall on its nose. I don't think I could even get into one of those loaders anymore.

Rebenergy

new member testing

I own two of the TL10's and they use 10w hydraulic fluid,I hope this helps

Good Day Bean1980;I am new to the group but have owned a TL 12 around five years now. My TL 12 came with a four cylinder gas engine that was hooked to the transmission with an 8 inch rubber tire. This was the Achilles' heel of my TL 12 because you cannot get those tires anymore. I spent a great deal of time and trouble converting it over to a slip spline shaft. Last fall I encountered the same problems as other members of this group, as it stopped moving shortly after I serviced the unit and added transmission fluid.

Rebenergy

yes, on my TL 12 the power steering pump is hooked by a belt on the front of the engine. I did loose the power to my hydraulics and transmission. After reading the post from other members I have hopes of repairing the hydraulic pump or whatever problem has caused failure. To add to my story, about two weeks ago I located a TL 14 and purchased it. the six-cylinder engine is stuck but I feel these engines are common so I will probably be in search of a G – 262 in the near future. I have ordered operators manual, service manual, and parts manual.my rationale was to use the forks and new tires on the TL 14. If it is possible to bring my TL 12 back to life I will need to rethink my original plan. I am very pleased with the TL 12 as it has tremendous lifting power and served me well as long as the coupling tire did not tear itself to pieces.

Rebenergy

do you still own your TL 12 and how was the Detroit engine coupled to the transmission? I also am curious if anyone was able to bring their TL series transmission back to life without expending a great deal of money?

iceberg210

The trick is you got to get that strainer clean in the bottom of the housing, then you may have to rebuild the hydraulic pump.

I still do, it is just connected via a torque convertor. Don't know exactly how they did it all when they did the repower...

Rebenergy

thank you iceberg for the information, I have the books for the TL 12 transmission and there's a filter suction screen behind a round metal plate on the transmission that I am going to clean. It also speaks of another filter so I will study the manual closely while servicing the transmission. Here's the good news! I recently discovered the coupler I had built to replace the tire connecting the engine to the transmission had broken inside, causing my transmission to act as if it were not working. I can repair the coupler and consider it a lucky that I did not cause damage to my transmission. Now I will be able to service the transmission properly before I begin using it again. I still plan to repair and use the TL 14 I have recently purchased also. It may not be as urgent now but to loaders will be handy around farm. If I can find a G – 262 engine for an affordable price I may just swap out the stuck engine in the TL 14.

Hayhauler

I have a TL14D. The loader will move but the power steering does not work. I have cleaned the strainer and replaced the filter that is under the seat and put in new oil. What else could my problem be?

BeccaLiz

Our business currently has two Tractomotive TL-12 / TL12 loaders that we have retired. One was still operations when last parked (over a year ago) and the other was purchased for parts. I know the operational one does have a gas engine but is originally a TL-12-D / TL12D / TL12-D model. Does anyone know where the best place to list these for sale would be?

iceberg210

They are neat loaders for what they are but they're slow, awkward and hard to get parts for. I'd look on facebook marketplace and see what other similar stuff is selling for and list it there
Thanks
Erik