• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

All in a days (or two) work pictures

Dickjr.

We've had 9*F weather then snow now rain. Its just that time of year. I get worried but it seems every year the first warm days of the new spring things seem to start coming together again. I love my job , the ability to start with nothing and make something , the older I get the politics wear on me more.

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
IMG_5018.JPG IMG_5020.JPG IMG_5021.JPG IMG_5022.JPG I actually took my phone out at work today to take pictures for the forum. John Deere haul truck had low oil pressure I removed the oil pan, looked at things in there to find no spun bearings actually everything was super clean. Motor has about 10,000 hours on it. Removed oil pump and inspected it, looks barely broke in. Hmmmmmm. Decided to remove oil filter again and take a better look at it thinking the bypass valve may be stuck open. I looked inside to see a little plastic valve which I decided could be the problem so I called the dealer and explained the scenario and asked if there was a service bulletin to confirm my suspicions. Bammm a few hours later I got the fax I needed!

theironoracle

Occupation
Just another pic to go with the first ones.....TIO

Attachments

• IMG_5023.JPG
    IMG_5023.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 103

theironoracle

Occupation
I'm definitely out of practice all my pics are sideways!!! If you look inside that filter housing that little plastic POS is at 12:00. It opens up when you open the lid to remove the filter so the oil in the housing returns to the pan. Keeps things nice and clean during oil changes but in this case it's going to cost the owner $2000+ in just parts!!! TIO

theironoracle

Occupation
Let's try this again. This is a rear main seal job today on a mini excavator. I'll get another pic of full disassembly with counter weight off and flywheel off. TIO

Attachments

• IMG_5024.JPG
    IMG_5024.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 190
  • IMG_5027.JPG
    IMG_5027.JPG
    901.1 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_5030.JPG
    IMG_5030.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 184

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Good to see you back! Those little mini-ex are a PITA! If you're careful you might have skin left on a knuckle or two!

Junkyard

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Agreed, I'd rather work on a 400 class excavator than a mini ex. Mini ex is like 10 lbs of stuff crammed into a 5 pound sack.

What model was that Deere haul truck with the oil filter problem, I've got a couple of 300D artic trucks I keep up with, just wondering if they have the same engine.

theironoracle

Occupation
IMG_5094.JPG

This machine is a Madill 3200c feller bunched. Motor series 50 detroit. I rebuilt this motor totally from a bare block. After 30 hours the operator says he has kind of low oil pressure at idle. I go to the job and determine his gauge says 7 pounds actual is 20 pounds. He calls 2 days later says warning light is on and machine is shut down. I remove the motor which took only 1 hour 15 minutes because of this amazing designed machine. Took the engine back to the shop and upon removing the oil pan found the counter balance shaft bearings had fallen out! This shaft oil pump assembly was purchased as a rebuilt component from Detroit. They warranted the parts.....TIO

theironoracle

Occupation
IMG_5105.JPG IMG_5101.JPG IMG_5102.JPG IMG_5103.JPG

Operator complains of noise. Maybe it was the driveline flailing around? The input shaft was broken off the pump I believe the driveline failed first (u-joint) because I found zero metal in the filter or immediate hoses and no sticky valve issues. I really love these tippy cabs. Does anybody build tippy cabs on wheel loaders?.....TIO

theironoracle

Occupation
IMG_5113.JPG

The rock crusher this was in would only run about 1/2 hour then the engine would just shut off!!! That's how long it takes to burn out the coils in a 12 volt relay with 24 volt power. Hoodathunk? TIO

theironoracle

Occupation
IMG_5175.JPG IMG_5176.JPG IMG_5178.JPG IMG_5179.JPG

Just some seals on an oldy but goody. I forgot to take a picture of the view from this location (huge river canyon) but I'm pretty sure I'll be back to cut a link out of the rails on this machine so the adjuster doesn't come apart again....TIO

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
View attachment 171102 View attachment 171099 View attachment 171100 View attachment 171101

Operator complains of noise. Maybe it was the driveline flailing around? The input shaft was broken off the pump I believe the driveline failed first (u-joint) because I found zero metal in the filter or immediate hoses and no sticky valve issues. I really love these tippy cabs. Does anybody build tippy cabs on wheel loaders?.....TIO

Ditto on the tippy cabs on artic trucks, not too bad to tip on that Deere 300D. Bonus, takes a bit of acrobat work with right side cab window open, but you can fire 'em right up reaching through that window if need be for checking things.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I've run into the 12 volt relay in a 24 volt application before. I super duper A/C tech put the aftermarket system in the D11 last year and it ran for about 5 min and quit. He was so flustered with it he loaded up and left. After a little poking and prodding I found a 12 volt relay and swapped it out. All was well and that thing would freeze you out! Something like 18,000 btu is what he stuck in there. You could bring a hot 12 pack of pop in there and have a frosty beverage by lunch!

theironoracle

Occupation
I always seem to take pictures of undercarriage work. The tire on the haul truck nearly came all the way off! It was a bit scetchy climbing under there and getting it all jacked up good thing I had my trusty otc jack stands with me thanks to tomv....all new nuts and tapper locks on that wheel fixed it up not sure how it didn't ruin all of the studs???? TIO

Attachments

• IMG_5339.JPG
    IMG_5339.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 139
  • IMG_5340.JPG
    IMG_5340.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG_5342.JPG
    IMG_5342.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_5346.JPG
    IMG_5346.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 134

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
What did you say? I was busy having a beer to you post #333. I love working outdoors, some of the time. LOL

theironoracle

Occupation
BUMP. Ok, not sure how or why i quit posting on HEF but its a new year so I am going to try to post her more often in 2018. HEF is a great community for sharing information with all of the heavy equipment community and i intend on being a part of that again. I hope everyone is doing well and ready for 2018. God bless, TIO