• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Air filter melted

WA30-1

I have an old WA30-1, checked air filter and plastic fins melted, checked inner air filter and had a hole burned in it. Can’t figure out why. Started up engine and sucking in air good. Can’t see Yao exhaust would get to filter. Help would be appreciated.

WA30-1

Not that I’m aware of. It’s about a 73. 1 hose in from air intake pipe on back of the tractor and 1 hose from the filter housing to the engine.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I’m pretty sure that does have an exhaust powered extractor. Idk? Can you post some pictures?

WA30-1

first picture, exhaust goes in top and out bottom. Not connected to air cleaner. Picture 2 air cleaner housing.

Attachments

• IMG_6357.jpeg
    IMG_6357.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6360.jpeg
    IMG_6360.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6359.jpeg
    IMG_6359.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6358.jpeg
    IMG_6358.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 33

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Out of curiosity, I looked at the parts book. Interesting. It’s obviously, sucking exhaust, looking at the secondary air filter. Or, it did at one time and those filters are the same age as Truck Shop. Oh’ hey Truck Shop.

When was the last time you changed air filters?

WA30-1

both filters were changed at the same time. Don’t use it very often, they probably don’t have more than 15 or 20 hours on them. Last time I checked them they looked fine, now they got really hot and melted. It doesn’t smoke and the engine temp looks good.

WA30-1

Never use starting fluid, turns over two or three times and starts. Never been anywhere around any kind of fire. Good thought though. Just use it around to push over and load live oaks that have died of the live oak decline.

Welder Dave

Exhaust leak or maybe leaves or something on the exhaust manifold catching fire and getting sucked in the air intake?

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
It's all too obvious. Aliens found your WA30-1 one dark night, their Friend-or-Foe ID systems determined it was a threat, they zapped it with a Ray Gun, and they flew off before it could attack them in response.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Well looking at the picture labeled img_6359 that filter was burning pretty good. You sure there isn't a bad exhaust leak near the air intake?

If, like you say, it's been used to push around or load trees only thing I can say is a bunch of dry leaves caught fire and got sucked in the intake

Last edited: