• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

air filter caught on fire

Davvinciman

Occupation
Operating engineer and business owner
Zactly!

Sledgehammer,
Could it have backfired through the Carburetor? (if it has one, I did that on my mower;))
Is the element the Cat radial seal one or does it need a filter oil or something? Just because filter oil does burn sometimes :tong

Exactly. I don't even know what made me ask that (about the pony motor) but I was trying to find a schematic of the intake system. I think the pony motor feeds directly off the engine filter on some Cats but too far back to remember. I have a service manual around here somewhere. So is that making any sense to any one else or are we not firing on all cylinders (with or without air cleaner)?

Last edited:

sledgehammer

Exactly. I don't even know what made me ask that (about the pony motor) but I was trying to find a schematic of the intake system. I think the pony motor feeds directly off the engine filter on some Cats but too far back to remember. I have a service manual around here somewhere. So is that making any sense to any one else or are we not firing on all cylinders (with or without air cleaner)?

the pup engine has it's own filter. the exhaust travels through the intake of the diesel engine, but a spark of flame would have to make it through the turbo and all the way back to the filter, and burn two hours later. i'm not seeing it. the only logical explanation i can see is the breather sucking in a spark.