• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Air Cleaner Question

Autocar

On my 4/53 Detroit it has a canister that holds the air filter on the bottom of the canister there is a three inch in diameter tube that sticks out about four inches. I tried to cover the air intake to kill the motor and it pulled air though the three inch tub and wouldn't shut it down. Can I put a can over that opening shut it clear off of air and check it every week for bugs and dirt ? Any other ideas on how to shut it down on a run away engine ? I get the impression that with the shuttle shift transmission if it ran away a fellow would never get it shut off .

roadrunner81

Occupation
Managing member KSR Excavating, LLC
pull filter out, insert tarps, basket balls, 2x4's. The size, shape and density of objects used to stop engine will change depending on the need to restart and how well the operator wants it to run.

lol

Haddy

Occupation
earthmoving contractor
Why don't you use the normal shut off on it ? They should also have a secondary air shut off valve that should stop it . Don't these work ?

Autocar

Yep I do use the shut off to kill the engine but was thinking about what to do on a run away.

Redwood Climber

Shutdown of a Runaway Engine.

I have a 453 Jimmy in my Clark skidder, it does an excellent job for me. On the dash is two pull cables, one is the fuel shut off, it goes to the fuel pump. It is used for normal shutdown of the engine, and the other is an emergency shutoff. It has a large plate that is spring loaded, when pulled the plate closes off the air intake. I've never had a runaway engine on any of the 453's I've run (quite a few), but in order I would pull the fuel cable first, then the emergency shutoff.

I have accidently pulled the emergency shutoff and the thing smokes like crazy and just barely runs at all. I just pull (manually) the shutoff back in position and away that "can of Bees" goes!! I hope you enjoy your 453 as much as I have mine.........it's given me years of service, and I've never had to touch it.

Last edited:

mitch504

I have a 1992 Franklin skidder w/ a 3-53T, and it came from the factory with no emergency air shut off. Several people have told me several reasons the last ones didn't need them.:beatsme

If your emergency shut-off won't completely kill the engine, I'd check to make sure that it closes completely.

Autocar, to get back to your original question, that tube on the bottom of your filter housing is supposed to have a rubber dust (and bug;)) ejector on it. With it open, you are sucking air through there, instead of through the pre-cleaner. This means you will have to change filters more often. If you don't want to get an ejector for it, the can idea would just be a manual ejector rather than automatic. I have seen many of these just closed off.

Haddy

Occupation
earthmoving contractor
I have run a 6v53 , quite a few 8v71 , and have got a 4-71 in my motorscaper . I have heard that they can run away but has never had it happen to me . I worked with a guy who work in a oil refinery and they used to have all sorts of engines run away because of the fumes , well thats what he told me and kinda makes sense . What does it take to get one these to run away anyway ?

lg junior

To get your old two-stroke to run away all you need to do is add oil. Either from a worn motor idling for a long time and loading the airbox full of oil, then when you throttle up the oil goes straight in the cylinders. When the oil burns the motor runs on that oil and shutting the fuel off will not stop the motor, also the governor doesn't function so the RPM's are only limited by the amount of oil that gets sucked up. Another sure fire way to accomplish this is to plug those pesky dripping airbox drain tubes. Dad had a 6-71 on a sawmill with dual oil bath air cleaners mounted directly on the blower, when the rain filled the air cleaners the oil went into the blower and airbox. When he fired it up it started just fine until he throttled it up then all hell broke loose. Never heard such a noise and don't ever want to be around one that does that again, I can't run like I use to.

lg junior

I don't know why the later detroits with turbos did not have the emergency stop flapper, but they are all oil burners and they can run away too. Might have something to do with the turbo pressure wanting to hold the flapper open.

Autocar

Thanks everyone for the responces, I pluged the hole on the bottom on the air cleaner canister. I guess I will keep on doing what Ive done for years and worry about something else. Thanks again Bill

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Not a good idea to test your shutdown system "live" like that. The vacuum created by the engine can suck a blower seal or cause other trouble. This can lead to an internal leak into the air system causing the very runaway necessitating that you use your system sooner than intended. Having to use one of these is a Big Deal, and it means that you have to take things apart to figure out why it happened and what you are going to do about it.

Birken

Autocar

I should of though of that myself , for sure as hard of a vacuum it pulled I can understand what your saying.