• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Advice on tandem dual axle goosenecks - 25ft vs 30ft ??? Please Help...

thedirtguy

I am in the market for a tandem dual axle gooseneck with a pop up beavertail and ramps, to haul a 15,500 lb backhoe behind my Dodge Dually. I am getting some conflicting advice from some experienced operators on what length of trailer to buy? Some recommend a 19 or 20ft deck + 5ft beavertail because they allegedly have better resale value, are more maneuverable, and have a lower empty weight which results in a higher useful load capability. Others recommend a 24 or 25ft deck + 5ft beavertail because they allegedly have better resale value, trail better at highway speeds, and give you more flexibility on load positioning/tongue loading which results in a higher useful load capability. I am confused...

Also, I am noticing that you can buy a powder coated trailer for slightly more money than a painted trailer. If you are comparing apples to apples, why would anyone not choose a powder coated trailer?

Mark Thompson

Occupation
Heavy Equipment operator and superintendent
I recommend avoiding powder coat for that application, when it starts to crack that is all she wrote.

Take the machine and fold it up like on a trailer and think of your front bucket flat on the deck with your rear arm folded and bucket flat. Measure the distance to include hight of your machine, purchase the trailer to the highest rating you can haul or afford/ pull legal.

Are you wanting a goose neck or pintle? Take into accord the deck hight also since hitting things with the boom and clearance is a factor as well.

lgammon

our tag behind our dump is 25 feet and my gooseneck is 25 feet. seems to be a good size. never really wanted more length

jsturki

25+5. A 20 ft flat isnt really all that much space when you start putting stuff on it. The extra 5 feet also helps with placement options on the deck. Plus 5 more feet of overall length on a 50+ ft truck and trailer isnt that big of a deal. Oh, and stay away from powder coating. fyi i have a 25+5 tandem dual and i wouldnt want anything shorter now that ive tried it. Just my opinion.

rutwad

I had a 20 + 5. It worked well for me, but it would have been nice for an additional 5'.

lumberjack

I have a 28' flatbed with a 6'x6' deck on the neck and 12' aluminum ramps. When I replace it I am thinking I'll get a ~30' hydraulic dovetail with 17.5" tires.

monster76

Occupation
Contractor
I have a 30ft tandem and 25ft triple axle I use the 25ft allot more it is allot more maneuverable than the 30 but the load positioning is nice about the extra length with my.backhoe my rear is usually over loaded by a 100 lbs or so but the fact that I can do a you turn at a tight 4 way with it makes it more useful to me

ScottAR

Go with a 2k urethane paint. Powder coating cracks when flexed. A good urethane will be durable and look good for several years.

Desertwheeler

Occupation
Miner
FYI guys this post is 3 years old. Good info tho I really like my 25+5.

Last edited: