• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Advice on large welding gloves

LCA078

Need recommendations for a large, very large set of welding gloves for my Dad as a Xmas gift. No so much looking for quality- just need them in large size (and decent quality). My dad's hands are getting large and swollen from age and he's got the one pinky that he can't straighten out. He's a retired machinist and only welds MIG and some TIG if I'm around but he does need a decent set of gloves in general. I wear an XL but he looks like OJ Simpson trying to put those on...he need's much larger! I just don't know where to look as everything online looks the same size with only length of the cuff changing. Thoughts?

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
We've been buying black stallion gloves lately, most of them go up to at least 2-3 xl

JD955SC

Black Stallion made the best pair of mig and stick gloves I ever had. Very heavy duty but flexible amd comfortable. Haven’t seen another pair like them yet, I got mine from the independent welding supply truck that visited us at school.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
I'm guilty of running a mitt in my filler rod hand and then nothing on my torch hand when I'm running my water cooled tig on real long days and things start cramping lol.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
I take the stuffing out of the "No name" ones.

Take a piece of 1/2" dia rod, and smooth the one end real rounded like. Make sure it's not sharp.
Stick that in a vice pointing straight up, about 9"
above the jaws.
Start pushing the fingers down over this, until the gloves is inside out.
Snip off all the insulation inside, and trim off the excess thread with scissors.
Back the to vice, use the rod again to invert
the glove carcass back to "Normal"
Yes, they doo get hot with extended usage, but I can pick up welding rod with them on, and for shorter welding times, are adequate.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I wear a 2-3X size glove and will second Tilman gloves, not had a problem getting my big mitts in them.