• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Adding thumb to Deere 225D LC

suladas

Trying to add a thumb to my new to me machine, figured it would be simple but proving not to be. It has aux hydraulics so i'm covered there, except trying to find a good place to find a diverter to split the flow so I can hardline the thumb, and still run twist/hoe pack etc. I have a twist bucket i'd like to use for demo and not use twist, but need it hooked up to keep pressure and not have bucket twist (I want the extra capacity over my clean up bucket). Anyways my problem is the thumb came with everything except the pin, figured a trip to the dealer and it would be no problem. I told them what the measurements were, showed them pictures and they can't figure out if the stock thumb pin will work or what. I called another place who has one for their thumb setup but it's greaseable and just the pin is $1000!

Here's a picture of the thumb, and my coupler (pretty sure it's just the standard one nothing special?).

Am I overthinking it or don't I just need a 80mm pin long enough to go through the whole thumb? I was also thinking the pin should have a hole to match up with the thumb so the pin moves with the thumb, or should the pin stay stationary and the thumb turn on there, but if so, then I would need the greaseable one?

Didn't think it would be so difficult to add a thumb.

Attachments

• IMG_0953.JPG
    IMG_0953.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1057.JPG
    IMG_1057.JPG
    677.6 KB · Views: 38

lantraxco

Pin should move with thumb, will eventually wear the coupler bores out, then line bore and add greasable bushings. I avoid grease drilled pins like the plague with thumbs, they all eventually find a tiny mark that the drill made in the grease bore and it becomes a stress riser and the pin fractures and breaks at that spot.

I would suggest perhaps using three portl wrench actuated ball valves one on each hard line for your diversion. They're good for the pressures and pretty much bulletproof, the only downside is of course you have to climb out of the cab and set them where you want them.

suladas

Yea I definitely don't want to have a pin that breaks at $1000 a piece, like the idea of the cheaper pin for sure. So I can assume the deere thumb pin would have a hole it in some place in order to allow it to turn with the thumb? I have no problem getting out to change, it won't be very often.