• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

AC compressor locking up

bigboytoy

Occupation
retired Pipe fitter
dismantled the compressor ... it's got 6 pistons way better than kubotas vane pumps.. but running dry on oil made it turn stiff .. close examination I see aluminum flakes from pistons sockets disintegrating but not much in the way of burnt oil ... the compressor replacement cost is reasonable ... still a flow issue ..

bigboytoy

Occupation
retired Pipe fitter
I'm not changing my name .... sorry you feel that way ... I though the "vane pump" would of been a common frustration of techy mechanics anywhere ... your free to move on and be more productive ...

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Well, running anything out of oil will very rapidly make it "turn stiff". They don't hold a lot of compressor oil.

And an A/C compressor out of oil is definitely going to lock up, I've just had one do that.

And of course, once an A/C compressor runs dry, it's going to produce a lot of metal filings and other debris that's going to block the dessicant bag or receiver/dryer and also fill the condenser and evaporator full of nasty crap, that's going to cause a "flow issue".

I think you've already received a lot of excellent valuable advice about properly cleaning the system, but you aren't really listening .....

Vetech63

Well......
its the vane pump
WRONG!
I am an AC guy ...
Yeah whatever
its the vane pump that doesn't like dirt and heat
WRONG
well its definitely a vane pump .
LOL....WRONG again
the vane pump is a bad idea ... poor engineering
Still wrong
what I was fishing for is information on vane pumps .
JFC.......how many times can someone be so wrong on the same dam thing?
... I guess I didn't say "vane pump" enough nor do many people have experienced the poor engineering of the "vane pump" ... so lack of understanding leave some to shoot the messenger
LMAO......this is some BS!

Well over 100 years of experience in this field from responses on the first 2 pages alone.......you literally ignored all advice. You seem to be very convinced of your own superiority.

I know guys like you very well. They are know-it-alls, and can be taught nothing. I don't even know why your here asking anything.......no one will have YOUR answer.

Me move along? OH HELL NO. I'm going to continue to point out everything you don't know or are doing wrong. I wouldn't miss this train wreck for all the tea in China!!

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Well......

WRONG!

Yeah whatever

WRONG

LOL....WRONG again

Still wrong

JFC.......how many times can someone be so wrong on the same dam thing?

LMAO......this is some BS!

Well over 100 years of experience in this field from responses on the first 2 pages alone.......you literally ignored all advice. You seem to be very convinced of your own superiority.

I know guys like you very well. They are know-it-alls, and can be taught nothing. I don't even know why your here asking anything.......no one will have YOUR answer.

Me move along? OH HELL NO. I'm going to continue to point out everything you don't know or are doing wrong. I wouldn't miss this train wreck for all the tea in China!!
Easy bro, remember how long we were grounded last time. Say it with me, "goosfrabba" BWAHAHA:p

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Speaking personally I can't see anything wrong with the position of @Vetech63.
For 4 pages the OP has been denying everything, even when faced with conclusive proof to the contrary. A grovelling apology might have gone some way towards sorting out the situation, but I think Hell is more likely to freeze over before that happens. In the circumstances the pile-on was justified IMHO.

heymccall

Well, while we're at it, operating the system with nitrogen in lieu of refrigerant has two shortcomings:
Doesn't suspend the oil droplets that circulate along with the gas.
Doesn't actuate the expansion valve, as the valve cycles on temperature, not pressure.

Last edited:

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Well, while we're at it, operating the system with nitrogen in lieu of refrigerant does two things:
Doesn't suspend the oil droplets that circulate along with the gas.
Doesn't actuate the expansion valve, as the valve cycles on temperature, not pressure.
I thought temperature regulated the expansion valve but still had a baseline operation dictated by pressure. But since N is inert and doesn't react to temp and pressure changes it would essentially jam up the works. I'm still learnin stuff. Good catch.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I really don't feel the need to further participate in the thread but I did find this on the local Craigslist. It is a 2015 Deere 60G listed for sale and there is a clear photo of the a/c compressor mounting in the engine compartment:

Deere 60G engine.jpg

As can be ascertained from the photo, this is a Sanden type axial piston compressor.

Here is the link to the advertisement which contains additional photos:

I do hope the gent can get on the correct path with the information which has been presented.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Maybe MG2361 could tap in on the safest method to tip the cab.
To answer this question, there is a jack that needs to be purchased to raise the cab. Using this tool is the safest way to tilt the cab. When cab is raised, there is also a safety prop on the underside of the cab that needs to be engaged.

Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 5.21.02 AM.png

Last edited:

bigboytoy

Occupation
retired Pipe fitter
well until page 4 when I saw the PDF from Sanden about the pump numbers describing it with the word piston not just the word axial pump .. I was not sure ... so complain about my delivery if your that way if you want ... but I read all of your comments even though you don't believe it ... I just wanted to slow walk through the issue .. I wanted to see the dirt and so I dismantled the compressor to find hardly any dirt but a few flakes of aluminum ... bottom line is John Deere parts can be found and are priced very reasonable compared to kubota it appears easier to get to the evaporator ... I already have a flushing tool ... I will order all parts I can't clean like the coils due to the way they are constructed .. you don't have to get upset and shoot me for looking for CHEATS or asking if anyone has a go around or a cheaper source of parts ... now I see the tilt tool where it is located from a helpful member ...

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
It's all good. We all think we know everything. Those of us who really do... know that we're always learning. Can't p!$$ & moan about it. Use it as a building block to grow and move on. I learned a bit on this thread, and I considered myself pretty competent. The N pressure test was pretty cool, personally never tried it. Learned a little something about the operation of the expansion valve too. That's why I enjoy this place so much.