1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

abi sr3 vs harley rake

Discussion in 'Compact Equipment Attachments' started by strykerakamack, Oct 9, 2017.

1. strykerakamack

strykerakamack Member

anyone familiar with the sr3 from abi ? was thinking of going with a harley rake than came across the sr3 .
    looks to me like you could do a bit more with the sr3 , plus I'm in a very rocky location with softball and larger all over the place .

2. Tags

Tags Senior Member

Looks pretty good...How much is it? I've had a Harley Rake for the last 15 years or so and personally wouldn't trade it for another attachment. I think it is the most versatile thing you can use on a CTL or skid steer

3. Steve Frazier

Steve Frazier Founder

I haven't used the SR3 but I watched the video. I own a Harley Rake and will tell you that SR3 isn't going to do the work of a Harley. If you look at their video all the soil is virtually rock free, hell a York rake could prepare a seed bed under those conditions!! If you do use the SR3 to pick rocks you're going to lose a lot of soil with them. They are correct that a Harley requires skill, but once you master it you can prepare a rock free lawn with almost no handwork.If you're going to choose one or the other I'd go with the Harley. The SR3 might be handy to have to do grubbing like they illustrated in addition but I wouldn't want it for lawn prep

4. strykerakamack

strykerakamack Member

Yea seen the vid also , but haven't seen any that are non factory made . I did look at the one where it was used to clear out the area behind the house on the hill , that is what my main use would be for now .

5. DIYDAVE

DIYDAVE Senior Member

I still like my Harley rake, but it is interesting... Wonder what a new one costs?

I have a box rake that i use after the tooth bucket, but they nest together raking up less space on the trailer. I do like the Hyd scarifiers, on the ABI, though, may have to steal that ideer...;)

6. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

It looks good, but consider that they want it to look good. Notice the material they have there is processed, there isn't a golf ball sized stone in the field. I believe a piece of railroad tie would give flawless results in that material. I know a Harley rake works very well, I'd have to see this work first.

7. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

It looks to be more based on an arena groomer but I agree the "processed" material shown in the video could have been levelled with just a bucket like millions of yards have been done. The gauge wheels are good but how do you insure you always tilt the same? A 3pt. hitch arena groomer which is similar will always keep the same angle after lifting and lowering.

http://www.abiattachments.com/arena-drag/tr3-rake-arena-groomer/

8. strykerakamack

strykerakamack Member

Well pulled the trigger and it arrived today :) $5600 shipped
    All I can say is WOW , only had an hour before the sun went down to try it out and was amazed at how
    much I was able to do with it . It graded a 4 foot high berm into a slope in 2 passes , Rock removal ? check ,
    I wish I just had golf ball sized rocks , but after using I can see myself getting it to golf ball size remains ,
    had no problem ripping out 50 lb rocks in one pass then pushing them forward then re-grading the area on the
    back drag . looks like their money back guarantee will go unfulfilled , As I'm keeping it :)