• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A tractor with musical talent

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Excellent like a littleole jazz prefer Chet Atkins though.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I have that cut with Chet and Lennie Breau.........what a sound!!Ron G

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Excellent like a littleole jazz prefer Chet Atkins though.

ya got good taste, Stock. :)
I think the tractor deserves a record contract, dang good percussion section! Better than this electronic stuff these kids are making nowdays. And I think the band wasn't half bad, pretty decent pickin'. And yeah, it's hard to beat Chet when it comes to pickin'. He grew up in Union County, next county north of here. My mother still talks about Chet and several other locals coming over to their house in Fountain City back in the 40's. She'd play the piano, another on the bass, Chet and a few others on guitars. She considers it one of the high points of her life. ;)

stock

Occupation
Never got to see him live but have spent a lot of time working to him tapping pickin and struttin on the 8 track cassette,cd and now these new storage divices that plug in to the wireless.

Stock

Last edited:

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Here is an excellent website with most of Chets work on it.Free for the listening.
If you can watch youtube there there is quite a collection of Chet and many other very accomplished guitarists that will get your attention,most of whom we would never have heard of otherwise.Jerry Reed is also very well represented there,a real genius.
I started listening to Chet on the radio back in the late '40s on the Grand ole Opry when we could get it on Saturday nights.Ron G
http://jukebox.au.nu/instromania/instro_monsters/chet_atkins//

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Ouch,my fingers hurt!!I wish that I had a flattop that had a nice action so I could attempt some of that stuff.
My classical gives me a tough time these days because I don't use it enough.
Those guys sure complement each other don't they?I think that I have an album of those two,for sure I have them doing other stuff.Thanks for the link.Ron G

stock

Occupation
RonG ATCO I think we are a dying breed, as it appears that we are the only ones who enjoy this type of pickin.The old heart still skips a few beats when I hear those two,ooooooooo!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
RonG ATCO I think we are a dying breed, as it appears that we are the only ones who enjoy this type of pickin.The old heart still skips a few beats when I hear those two,ooooooooo!

Maybe so...but I'd rather die listening to Chet than live and have never listened to him. Those who have never heard the melodies the man could make with six strings have missed one of the wonders of the world. When I saw your post above, I already had a feeling you were referring to Mark Knopfler playing with Chet, as I have enjoyed both of them for years, and to hear them together is musical magic. "I'll see you in my dreams", I've got it on my computer...and a few others of course. :)

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I don't want to highjack the thread started by Hendrik, but we're talking good music here (on HEF). To Stock and RonG, find and listen to Chet playing with Doc Watson doing Ragtime Annie. Doc Watson was born and raised in the hills of North Carolina, and is a heck of a good picker...and he's blind, has been since before his first birthday. The tune gives a good contrast between a great guitar picker (Doc Watson), and one who stands alone (Chet Atkins). You can tell the parts that Doc is playing (and well above my picking ablilities), and the parts that Chet is playing. Chet was so smooth on a guitar it was like pouring syrup over pancakes. And he was such a great guy. If you asked my mother what he was like, she would tell you...he was always a gentleman. :)

stock

Occupation
Chet was so smooth on a guitar it was like pouring syrup over pancakes. And he was such a great guy. If you asked my mother what he was like, she would tell you...he was always a gentleman. :)

Atcoequip you sure you never kissed the Blarney stone 'cause thats pure Irish brog

Here a little bit of that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqPZbpqGV2M
and some velvet for your ears
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mzGrpNZsGA

Would have loved to seen Chet Live on an intimate basis like that and listen to the verbal banter while he soothed the lobes and carried the audience away on moonbeams woven together with his music ,gee I would have gladly gone to my reward listening to that man .I have left my mark on this planet in a good way I hope but when a man of that ability comes around , just shows life has some sweet syrup moments and we had better take the time to enjoy them.

Stock

Hendrik

Atcoequip you sure you never kissed the Blarney stone 'cause thats pure Irish brog
I never did but the missus gave it a kiss and it tells:eek:
One of the funniest things I remember about visiting Ireland was when we got off the ferry from Liverpool. This fella wearing a tweed jacket came up to us and started asking question about where we been, where we going and I thought "who the heck are you" until I noticed the large bulge under the jacket and I figured he must be with Irish border security and sure enough he was.
The other notable thing was all the Irish themed pubs everywhere. I know it was a bit of a fad back then (there was even a couple in Prague) buy you lot took it to a whole new level but in the main it was tastefully done although a couple of places it was a bit over the top;)

Last edited:

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I bought all of Chets albums for many years,I have probably 60 or more.I lost track of them after Gretsch went out of business and he went with Gibson.I still have most of them however picked up over the years.I never really cared for the Gibson sound as compared to the Gretsch at least.I felt betrayed..LOL.
Now with Freddies site there is no need to do without any more.Bless that man for making them available to us.Now we have youtube and the whole scene has changed again.All of the years that I spent learning his licks from the records just to see the kids these days whip off a song with abandon because now there is a way to learn by watching makes me jealous.LOL
It turns out that I might have been playing a particular song in the wrong key,at least to get it note for note or he may have been using a capo or an open tuning........youtube levels the playing field now,I just came along too late:)).I have a few friends that use tablature....that is cheating too!!Ha..........I have not hung up my thumbpick but the world is passing me by.What a great topic.Ron G

stock

Occupation
What I wouldn't have given to be able to play a guitar or for that any musical instrument,tried for some years but to no avail wound up playing notes but never was I able to make it sound so sweet like that ,The only local man who had a rep for guitar pickin and playin was a gentleman by the name of Rory Gallagher
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYYbK2sDaJ4
And he is also responsible for my love of denim levi's dont look as good in them now with a large mid section and depleted thatch on the roof , I saw him in the savoy in Limerick in the 70's so see if you enjoy.

Stock

Last edited:

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
That is a bluesy sound that my woman enjoys.I have played just about all of my life.
I bought my country gentleman new in 1967.It is still the nicest playing guitar I have ever played.I settled on a Peavey Artist 240 amp with a 12" EV speaker in it and am using a Boss digital echo pedal that is so clean the sound will make the hair on your arms stand up.That Gretsh sound is unequalled and when that old thumb gets going with "I am a Pilgrim" or "Nine pound Hammer" etc. it is pretty hard to keep the feet still.LOL.
Chet made this all possible for me because I probably would not have had the motivation to stay with it without having his example to move me.Ron G

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager

Lol!
Well...I'm a Willis and my fathers family came to America from Erin in the late 1700's. Is that close enough? :D Used to have Irish red hair...until the grandkids came along. :tong

Hendrik, thanks for not beatin' us up. Music nuts, like us, do tend to get a little carried away, and it ain't often you find a post that you can talk good music at HEF. :D Besides, it was your great find (the video) that brought all this up, I think the video is a hoot and that tractor should be on some records. I forward it to my brother in Louisiana, he loved it! I'd say it's gone all over the refinery he works at. ;)