• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A Shed turned apartment that I demoed this week

tmc_31

Occupation
Sports Lighting Contractor
Hey straightexhaust,

I enjoyed you videos, thanks for posting. I have demolished a barn, chicken coop and a garage with my skid a year or so ago so I have an idea what you were faced with. Did you have the debris hauled off or did you burn it or bury it on site? Since mine was on a farm well out in the country, I was able to bury my debris which drastically reduced the cost of the demo. I have used a root grapple before in land clearing projects but for my demo I used a set of pallet forks that I mounted a thumb to as my wrecking tool. A root grapple is on my list of equipment to buy.

Tim

Attachments

• DSC02718.jpg
    DSC02718.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 690

straightexhaust

tmc_31,

Thanks for the reply. Glad you enjoyed the videos. Had to lean my iPhone against some stuff to catch it in action haha. I used a 30 yard can to haul away the debris. It was my first solo demolition for my company, should have bid the job better but I made a little profit haha. The root grapple worked surprisingly well. I was very cautious of all the nails and metal though. If I were to continue using the skid steer I would get foam filled or airless tires. How do you like the 190 btw?

tmc_31

Occupation
I really like the L190. I have had two other skids before this one a LX565 and a LS170. The L190 is the first with a cab and AC. As soon as I closed the deal on the L190, I bought a new set of tires and had them foamed. I have put about 600 hours on the L190
over the last 2 years or so.

straightexhaust

I had been looking for a L190 originally and then came across my LS170 for a price I couldnt resist. Sometimes I wish I had the L190 though. Im jealous of the AC :notworthy

tmc_31

Occupation
What size excavator are you looking for? What kinds of attachments? I too am looking for an excavator. Probably a 5 ton machine with a hyd thumb and a breaker. I am a little limited in size as 10,000lb is the max I can haul. I don't want to get into the DOT stuff if I can help it.

Tim

JNB

Occupation
Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
What size excavator are you looking for? What kinds of attachments? I too am looking for an excavator. Probably a 5 ton machine with a hyd thumb and a breaker. I am a little limited in size as 10,000lb is the max I can haul. I don't want to get into the DOT stuff if I can help it.

Tim

Take a look at Kubota's KX121 and 040. I've used the 121 quite a bit and it's a strong machine for the size. It hauls quite nicely on my 14k gooseneck. The 040 is a hundred pounds or so less similarly equipped.

tmc_31

Occupation
Hey John,

Yeah, the KX121 is a nice machine, it would fill the bill well. I have narrowed down the search to 4 brand/models, the 121 is among them. My choices so far are based on the comparison of manufacturer specs or ritchiespecs whichever is available. I have yet to demo any of them yet.

Do you own a 121 or do you rent when needed.

My problem with renting is the rental places never seem to have what I need when I need it.:mad:

Tim

JNB

Occupation
I don't need a mini enough to justify purchasing. The cab 121 I rented from time to time has been sold. The dealer is getting another one in though. In the meantime they have a 91 that I've rented a few times. Like the 121, I was pretty surprised how powerful it is for the size.

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
I got a 121-3 super angle blade @ auction back in the summer it's pretty strong for it's size been stacking 2.2'x2'x4' 2700 pd concrete block's 3 high with it for about 4 week's and it's reach will surprise you

tmc_31

Occupation
clintm,

Is that 2700lb concrete blocks? If so, that is a pretty strong machine. How far can you take the load out before it starts getting tippy?

Tim

tmc_31

Occupation
Straightexhaust,

Again, thanks for posting the video.

I think the 91 might be a little bit small for me too. I think I need to get the largest machine that I can legally haul as I want to do some demo with it and usually bigger is better. Besides, I want a full cab with AC as I don't tolerate the heat as well as I used to. I do think I will see if I can find a 121 that I can demo.

Tim

JNB

Occupation
Tim, that's the 121 size or equivalent. Good a/c, good heat and just enough room for comfort. With a thumb and 6-way blade it's pretty handy machine.
BR 12.jpg OB08.jpg Cox10.jpg

clintm

Occupation
Yeah the big lego block's stacking them from end so they are stair stepped put the blade up against the bottom one jack the machine up about halfway pick it up close to machine and then throw it out all at once if I stop it will go down there from the bottom of the block on the ground to the lift point on the third one it's six feet out yeah I got platy of other stuff to lift them with all they way up to 80,pd excavators and 60,pd wheel loaders but I got too many (Auction projects) in the way :thumbsup I got a new thumb and coupler about 2 weeks ago but haven't put them on yet because don't think it would lift them with that little bit of extra weight I am about done I will have to get some pic so Y'all will know it happen

d9gdon

Bois d'arc trees, or as the old timers like to say here, "bodark". Osage-orange, horse apple, hedgerow trees are other names I've heard them called. Perfect ammo to hit a older brother or sister while they're not looking. Those were the days.

They give off a smell when you uproot 'em, or they do to me.

clintm

Occupation
Oh it starts getting tippy as soon as you pick them off ground but it will swing them over side if you stay half way in and stay smooooooth

JNB

Occupation
Bois d'arc trees, or as the old timers like to say here, "bodark". Osage-orange, horse apple, hedgerow trees are other names I've heard them called. Perfect ammo to hit a older brother or sister while they're not looking. Those were the days.

They give off a smell when you uproot 'em, or they do to me.

10-4 on that one! I usually get a bunch of it from jobs and use it in our wood burning stove. It burns really hot. I sure wouldn't recommend it for fireplaces though. It chucks sparks like I've never seen before! When we cut it green we run a chain 'til it gums up...throw it in a coffee can of gas to un-gum it and put another chain on.

I've read that using it for firewood is sacrilege to bow makers.