• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A Question About Oil Contamination From Attachments

CGSI

Hey Guys
I was just wondering if anyone had ever considered if rental equipment attachments or new attachment posed a threat to your hydraulic systems with mixing various other users oils into your systems. I just bought a new grapple and i think i will purge that before I use it but i was just wondering about items i might go an rent. The New Holland LX 565 takes a 10W30 SM/CD motor oil in everything but the final drives and i have no idea what would happen if it cross contaminated with hydraulic fluid. Anybody have a quick sure fire way to purge the item? I know i could put a flat face coupler on the one hose and blow it out with the other couple connected to my machine but i am sure I will eventually take a heck of a bath in oil.:Banghead

Wulf

You make a good point but I would be more concerned about contamination from oil with high particle counts or attachments with damaged internal components than just a small reduction in oil viscosity or its properties

CGSI

Wulf said:
You make a good point but I would be more concerned about contamination from oil with high particle counts or attachments with damaged internal components than just a small reduction in oil viscosity or its properties

I agree about the particles but the filter system should trap most of them. The viscosity is not the end of the world but mixing 2 totaly different types of oil scares the heck out of me. Time to by more of my own hydraulic attachments.... :eek: